Thread: New

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    I would hook up the pcv valve for the emissions testing. At idle....vacuum is being pulled on the pcv valve to hold it open and vent the crankcase. The metal nipple on the valve cover with the filter on it is the pcv valve.....it doesnt look like all the other plastic ones u r probably used to. All engines have a certain amount of combustion gasses that pass by the rings....especially old engines that have worn rings. This will pressurize the crank case, dilute the oil, and cause oil sludging. It would be a good idea to take it off and spray a bunch of carb cleaner through it to make sure its not plugged up. You can remove it and shake it in your listening for it to rattle. It must click or its clogged up.

Do you have an air pump on the engine driven by the belt. Its gotta be up and running to pump fresh air into the exhaust stream. This will heat up the cat and help it work.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    No MM or Ram 50s ever ran an air pump - the reed valve that went into the exhaust manifold was to replace the pump. Its possible the cat is bad or gutted; My 1980 ran a weber carb, a header and no cat and it passed with flying colors - much cleaner than your requirements. I had to put one on to have the exhaust redone for duals. That carb may have other issues besides hoses thats dumping fuel.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    That is on the list this week. I got to drop that exhaust and really take it a look to see if that cat is intact. That was my next thought.

How much of a effect does the o2 sensor have ??

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    a lot it adjusts the fuel based on the O2 reading - its probably never been changed or covered with crud, or both.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Well good news. Finally, I needed some good news. The cat is gutted. Someone smashed a pipe though it and made a big hole through the core. That is great for me. Because after I install the aftermarket cat I will most likely pass.

I'd like to take this time to thank the god of AIR POWER !! Took 5 mins to get those bolts off.

About the o2 sensor, I meant to ask how accurate is it. Is like a modern engine where it really makes a difference.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Is the O2 sensor before the cat or after the cat? They are the same on your truck as a new car. I don't know if you can get a replacement cartridge for the cat. If you can then get it. the hotter the gasses the better. I know that there was a time you could get replacements for it.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Yes, you can get aftermarket universal cats.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Me and the cat are battling it out. Of course my time is limited, and now the H.O.A. is acting up. Got a notice about un-registered vehicles. So I got no time and pressure from those m0&%#$ Fu@$&%! I got the replacement cat from the auto store. $70.00 and I am out the door. No direct fit cats, weld on only. So with no time and the H.O.A. on my stuff. This exhaust is not going to be pretty.

I cut the flange off the header, I need to take the cat with me to work and expand that end so I can just get a clamp on it. Then I took a 90* bend and expanded that to fit on the other end. I'll just get a simple hanger hooked up off some left over strap. And have enough of a exhaust to pass SMOG hopefully.

I'll get pics if you guys want, so you all can marvel at my ghetto fabulous exhaust.

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Well I knocked 3 points off my HC's. I think I may need to take control of my carb. I think my carb is jacked. Still way to high on the HC's.

You guys think that a Weber will allow me to control my HC's ??

If I order a Weber, will it come close to being jetted to my engine ??

Do you think a Weber is a good idea ??

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

I said screw it and ordered a Weber.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12