Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd gen alternative replacement fuel tanks.

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

2nd gen alternative replacement fuel tanks.

I know this has got to be a common problem with the 2nd gen Ram 50s and the Mighty Max... You cant find a new fuel tank to save your life! Mines basically shot, leaks all around the seam so there no patching it...

My question is, has anyone figured out a suitable replacement or alternative to the original tanks? Even if some modification is necessary im ok with that. If i cant find something close ill have to buy a new fuell cell and try to modify that! Looking for efficient and quick way to do this as its my DD. I would appreciate any info or advice!

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I've heard there is no after-market replacement for these tanks. And the 2.0 tanks don't have the opening needed for the fuel pump.

BradMPH or one of the other members mentioned some sort of paint you can coat the interior of the tank with...some sort of enamel or epoxy. MY problem is the top fittings for the fuel lines...which I repaired with Bondo and concrete caulking, but some day, the pump will need replacing, and I don't think the tank will survive the operation.

I'd put feelers out to the junk yards, there in Kansas, and see if you can't find a decent used one.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes there are fuel tank sealers you can purchase. I have used a few on motorcycle fuel tanks. I have used the one Called "Kreem" and I hate to say it, but is sucks. Every tank I have ever seen coated with it the sealer will peal off within a couple of years. My shop just sent a tank off for sealing not to long ago and it came back with a red sealer in it I believe is "Red-Kote", I kind of like the way it looked. I think it will last a bit longer than the other brand I mentioned. Also, I have also heard a lot of good things by anything made by "POR-15".

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Yea i have seen all the different sealers and what not but after taking a close look saturday, mine is completely fubar... like a couple holes you could fit a nickel through... i had some 2 part permatex putty to patch those but then found out it was coming out around all the seams too! Im not gonna even try to refurbish this POS tank... time to move on to better options. I have been looking and Tacoma fuel tanks of the same year look kinda similar... ill have to get measurement to be sure but it might just swap with minimal fab work. (Fingers crossed)

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Ok... so i think i have a plan. Theres a fabrication shop here in town that could probably make me a new tank of similar dimensions out of 14guage steel. Ill take them the old tank and let them weld on all the fittings. They should be able to pressure test it too... fingers crossed!

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Wouldn't it be more easy and cheaper to buy a 2.0 tank and modify for the fuel pump opening?

Array
    Status
    az
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by maxdsm View Post
    Wouldn't it be more easy and cheaper to buy a 2.0 tank and modify for the fuel pump opening?
    That could be a possibility if the top of his old tank isn't too rusted up, then the fab shop might be able to cut the fuel pump opening off and weld it to the top of a 2.0 or 2.6l tank.

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec96 View Post
    That could be a possibility if the top of his old tank isn't too rusted up, then the fab shop might be able to cut the fuel pump opening off and weld it to the top of a 2.0 or 2.6l tank.
    Where can I find either of those style tanks and what kind of prices are we talking?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I recommend searching the junkyards first. If you can get a 2.4 tank, you won't have to have it modified. I will be doing this myself as soon as the weather gets nicer.

I've heard $80 as a going price, but I don't know from first-hand experience. Though I have a 2.0 tank from a parts truck, I wouldn't venture to have it modified.

But I'm not desparate yet

You can probably do a junkyard search online for your area. Might try that, first.
    Last edited by royster; 03-02-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: damn I wish there was spell checker!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    After looking at the tanks differences more .I can see the difference is off by a long shot. Fabing would be almost out of the question and I would buy a used one from a local j-yard supplier as royster stated above and save the headache.

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I have looked around and called some of the more quality junk yards around here and have found nothing. I gotta say a used tank worries me in the sense that i could be dealing with some of the same gremlins. Whose to say the "new" tank wouldnt leak around the seams as well?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    'Thing about a junk yard tank is you can inspect it before buying it. Especially if you take it off yourself.

The lack of local availability is certainly discouraging. My intention is to make a day of it, driving down route 11 and stopping at the various junkyards. I also want to find a sports cluster and coupla other things. So you might consider such an outting.

I don't think it's possible to legally mail or ship a gas tank, but who's to say? Wishing you the best possible outcome!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    check car-part.com. They always have a dismantler that will have what you need and they will ship to you. Most of the places I have called seemed pretty legit and the few I have dealt with have been awesome. I'm sure they will send pics of the tanks also and let you know its cond, etc...

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    'Thing about a junk yard tank is you can inspect it before buying it. Especially if you take it off yourself.

The lack of local availability is certainly discouraging. My intention is to make a day of it, driving down route 11 and stopping at the various junkyards. I also want to find a sports cluster and coupla other things. So you might consider such an outting.

I don't think it's possible to legally mail or ship a gas tank, but who's to say? Wishing you the best possible outcome!
    Thanks man, yea i have not had real good luck even on car-part.com... i work at a body shop and have had my boss calling around looking as well with no positive results.

What are your guys reservations to just having a custom fuel cell made? My thoughts are, no more digging, you know its solid, substantially more rugged than a stock thin sheet metal tank. If made out of steel they can use the original fittings too. Maybe not thencheapest route but for a little more $$$ i would have a super solid cell that ill never have to worry about.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Custom fuel cell is a good option if you're not in a situation where you can scrounge something from a yard and mod it to fit. You can make it to whatever capacity you feel like - small for the strip or huge for going the post-apocalyptic bug out route. No it's not cheap but you pay for a solution that suits your needs. A custom all-alloy fuel tank looks awesome too

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    If you can afford it than a custom fuel cell is fine and will probsbly be a better option long term. I am running a custom aluminum fuel cell on my truck and had it made exactly to my specs and needs/wants

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I found out the hard way that my 92 4x4 tank has pinholes in the bottom of it. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm probably going to try the Por 15 re-sealing kit.

It's unfortunate, because these holes would be easy spot welds. They're tiny. But I'm not confident I can deal with the fuel vapors safely.

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    I found out the hard way that my 92 4x4 tank has pinholes in the bottom of it. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm probably going to try the Por 15 re-sealing kit.

It's unfortunate, because these holes would be easy spot welds. They're tiny. But I'm not confident I can deal with the fuel vapors safely.
    Its frustrating right!?!? Yea welding would be so easy. The thought of rusty shrapnel in my head isnt too apealing though.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Yea better off keeping away from a welder. You would need to fully clean out and allow to air out before attempting to weld. Welding rust holes sucks as well because the parent material is so thin that once you arc it ends up creating a hole twice as large. You then find yourself trying to fill larger spaces and creating all sorts of random shapes that never seal correctly.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ...gas solder them?

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

http://www.partswebsite.com/courtesymitsubishi/oemparts/mitsubishi-141/MB554425.html

Or buy a new one ????

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Based on prior experience, I'd call and make sure the part is actually still available before getting my hopes up. In the past, I've placed orders for hard to get parts only to have them call me and say those parts are discontinued with no alternatives for obtaining them.

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    It’s not a solution for everyone, but you can always relocate the gas tank under the bed/behind the rear axle and use a tank that is more readily available. It’s an old hot rod solution that a lot of truck guys have used to get rid of the behind the seat tanks used on many of the 50s-60s full size pickups.

On the plus side; the mods are fairly simple and can usually be done in a day or less, parts are readily available new, you will pick up 3-5 gallons more fuel capacity, no welding is required, the cost is going to be comparable or cheaper than a custom made tank.

The down side; you will lose the spare tire carrier, it’s not completely bolt in……. there will be modifications required. If you’re using an in-tank pump you will need to switch to an inline pump or find a tank and pump that is compatible with the fuel system you’re using. The sending unit will likely need to be modified to be compatible with the stock fuel gauge. The tank may need to be modified for a fuel return line.

I used a 1958 Chevrolet passenger car tank on mine (the 1959-60 tank would also work and the fill neck is centered, but I happened to have a 58 tank laying around). Of course after it was installed I found out it had pin holes in it and had to replace it……at that point it was no big deal, and a new repop 16 gallon tank was less than less than $100 with free shipping. You can look around , besides the Chevy tanks, fist generation Mustang tanks would probably work too.

Besides the tank you will also need: fuel pickup/sender, tank straps, short piece of fuel neck hose, non-vented gas cap, fold down license plate holder and 2 pieces of square/rectangular tubing (to make the tank top supports). All the parts are available new.

I did a write-up on installing a rear tank on my build thread that gives an idea on what’s involved.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin/showthread.php/4866-87-Ram-50-SBC-T5-swap

Like I said, not for everybody but it is a workable solution.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Has anyone got any suggestions on coatings to apply to the outside of the tank to help protect it? I finally got mine out of the truck, and it's extremely clean. The sender and pump bulkheads are still somewhat shiny. If it wasn't for the internal damage, it'd be in amazing condition. I'd like to keep it that way.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Jeff, i used rustoleum spray paint on the exterior after I pressure washed it. Seemed to work well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast