Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd gen alternative replacement fuel tanks.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Array
    Status
    Hutchinson KS
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    That roll on bed liner would be a fairly tough coating for the outside of the tank... ive seen it hold up to alot of abuse including rock chips.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    That's not a bad idea either. Maybe I'll just do some thick spray paint for now, and then do the bed liner when I actually do the bed. Once all the fittings are broken loose, it's not hard to drop the tank.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I'm posting these in the hopes they'll help someone in the future, and also to serve as 'before' pics while I'm waiting for my POR 15 kit. The little silver stud in the first pic is the drain bolt closer to the rear of the truck.

FuelTank01.jpgFuelTank02.jpgFuelTank03.jpgFuelTank04.jpg

The little piles of rust are just that...loose crud. I dragged my fingers through them and the stuff came loose with no effort at all. Some moderately high pressure water would knock most of it out. It looks like the rust holes in my tank are underneath the square tray where the fuel pump sits. I'll have to make sure to blow the crud out from there, and spend some extra time circulating sealant in that area.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Interesting how clean your tank looks. Even better than mine. I can't see how the lower submerged area could rust out being that there is no way for it to oxidize. I determined that virtually all my rust came from the upper 1/3 of my tank where air was present.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyShooter87 View Post
    Where can I find either of those style tanks and what kind of prices are we talking?
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dodge-Ram-50...1370256/i.html

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Finally got my tank all sealed, coated, painted, leak-tested and ready to go back in the truck. I'll have a write up on it soon.

I don't want to prematurely declare victory, but it's looking good so far. All told, I have roughly $100 into reconditioning this thing. It's all stuff any half-competent home mechanic can do. The worst part is constantly picking up the tank to slosh and drain everything. Your arms will get a workout

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    It's all stuff any half-competent home mechanic can do.
    This is good news, since I'm half competent. Not sure what the other half is: that's the trouble with being a Gemini.

Looking forward to your write-up because I'm likely to follow that path. And what a great bit o' information for everyone! Thanks!!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Looks like you been making Folgers coffee in that tank. Where you get your gas at? If you can find a busy gas station, that may help with garbage in tank. You said rust also, got anywhere selling non-ethanol fuel? Ethanol will accumulate water moisture if left in tank for over a month or two.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph
    Looks like you been making Folgers coffee in that tank. Where you get your gas at? If you can find a busy gas station, that may help with garbage in tank. You said rust also, got anywhere selling non-ethanol fuel? Ethanol will accumulate water moisture if left in tank for over a month or two.
    I haven't even put 2 miles on the truck since I bought it. That was the residue in the tank when it got to me. My original plan was to do the bare minimum in maintenance to get it past a MO safety inspection and then gradually work on the rest. But then I found out the fuel tank was leaking like a sieve once I scrubbed off the paint and poor patch work. So a lot of my maintenance stuff got moved up.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Try tanksinc in IA just find the same shaped tank and have them modify the fittings. Looks like they make similar tanks just set it up for your year truck.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    I sent TankInc a email asked about the possibility of modifying an existing tank to fit my 1990 SE 4X4 short box the 1st gen ones look similar . Also asked about any other options that might work for me. Will see what they have to say I’ll get back to here when I know if the reply.

Array
    Status
    Rome Georgia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm curious as to what the difference between the 1985 tank and tan ks for later years? Is it the move to fuel injection and an in tank pump?

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Search fuel tanks in the car-parts.com you will find so many options even for the same years like cab, wheel base, engine, 2WD or 4WD can all call for different tanks.

tanksinc got back to me today I need to send them a pic to see what they can workout for me I’ll pick up a junkyard tank next week even if just for the dimensions my 90 SE is a 1 year only tank.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    FYI a 92 D50 2WD tank will fit a 90 4WD sport but you will lose some capacity. The dusty tank is sitting on a 2X6 but the hookup is identical.

Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12