Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Building on a budget

I've got sunk in and bought a project. It's time for engine questions.1986 ram 50 Little 2.0l gen1 g63 power options without engine swap advice help all appreciated. Head swap options headers carb what works well I get lost in the forums looking at some of the beast builds thought just asking was easier not looking for super powers just a bit more pep once budget allows going to go all out but that's long time away. Got biltech lowering kit coming

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i would say a new cam profile, you motor should already have adjustable rocker arms so that will not be an issue. i believe that there are headers available on here for the 2.0l and 2.4l witch should allow it to breath more. also i have read only good results from using the Weber 32/26.

so.
    1. Increased cam profile
    2. Header
    3. Weber
    4. full exhaust system upgrade possible with the header.

you could go turbo and low boost. im not sure what you would have to do as far as carb jetting for it.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i meant weber 32/36

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I have read good things on the weber as well thank you for the options hoping to hear many more

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Do some port work on the head and clean up the combustion chambers. You can do this stuff yourself and doesn't require air die grinders and carbide tools. If anything they'll be too aggressive for the work you'll be doing to the head anyway. You do it with a dremel/rotary tool kit and a flex drive on the end of a power drill. There is a heap of info on how to do it and in my experience you don't need to go hacking away at the ports to get good end results. Port matching the inlet ports to the inlet manifold will work well with a Weber carb and will improve response and idle even with a stock carb. I would even recommend using an adjustable cam gear but these take some experience in setting up to yield HP improvement.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Ditto on above....

DSCN2354.JPG

DSCN2355.JPG

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Not a cheap solution for 2.0 aftermarket headers fyi. The pacesetter 1066 (i think thats the part number) says it will fit 2.0 but is completely incorrect. I have seen the guy on the forum that builds headers for them but are steep

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Great advice guys thanks I'm looking in to the port n polish I'm trying to get it figured out 14561773660071485122524.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Deamonxr1 View Post
    Great advice guys thanks I'm looking in to the port n polish I'm trying to get it figured out 14561773660071485122524.jpg
    Rules are simple for porting and polishing. No sharp edges in the ports or the combustion chambers, no rough gallery walls, make each gallery and port look the same inside, don't oversize the ports when matching the inlet side, don't increase the exhaust port sizes at all. There are some specific rules depending on what kind of engine you're building and basic principles apply to every engine. Every guy has a different approach to porting. If you're taking the head in for reconditioning now is the time to tackle your ports. If you do it after its been through a shop there's always a risk you could damage a valve seat or a freshly machined face. These heads aren't bad when it comes to port sizes and alignment but the inside castings of the ports can be plain nasty...

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Since you're in Alabama you might be able to get rid of the stock exhaust manifold and get a 2nd gen exhaust manifold to replace it, the cast manifold is an exact bolt on but the balance of the system can be done at home using u bolts and coupling sleeves, you will need a small "s" bend to enter the manifold piping to the original "tunnel" exhaust routing, throw on a 24" glass pack and you'll be happy....as the previous posts allude to is that getting the engine to breathe better is the key...clean up the head ports both intake and exhaust, when the head is off get a 3 angle valve job, properly adjust and clean out the jet valves, I just bought a used cylinder head and intake manifold off an 89 G63B, I'm going to completely go through and blueprint it I'll keep everyone updated.....AFTER I get it to pass smog!

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Deamonxr1,
    With the above mentioned, (& with respects to all ) ,
    The INTAKE MANIFOLD always gets left out of 'port & polish' discussions!!!

Buy a $20 ? ball hone & run same through the intake manifold runners.
    Just clean up the casting slag & sharp edges, I.E, just 'eyeball' &
    'equalize' all the runners.
    Last edited by claych; 02-23-2016 at 01:50 PM.

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks guys