Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Running really cold

I recently replaced my timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, cleaned the fins of my radiator and gave it a thorough flush.

My truck runs great but it never warms up. I let it warm up for 10 minutes then drove 13 miles home and let it sit for another 5 and the needle never touched the mark after cold. Before all of this my needle would warm up half way between that mark and halfway. The heater was off the entire time and when i turned it on before i shut it off it wasnt warm at all.

The thermostat is installed correctly and doesnt look like its defective. I dont belive my gauge is broken because it worked a few days ago and my radiator hoses definitely arent as hot as they normally are.

About where should my needle during normal conditions?

Thanks guys

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    You sure you reconnected your gauge sensor wire correctly. Didn't bump it and break wire somewhere, causing a intermittent connection. If you replaced the thermostat and it is recirculating when it reaches temp, then IMO its a gauge giving false readings. I am not sure what position the gauge on your truck should show, but your truck manual should show that information for you.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    About where should my needle during normal conditions?
    My 4G64 ran at the halfway mark before I performed the same tasks you just did. After the flush and cleaning...I also replaced the temp. sensors...the needle at running temperature stays about 3/16" past the "normal" line. I actually wish it would run a bit hotter, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

That your hoses are not exhibiting higher temperatures has me sort of baffled.

I'll bet SuperGeezer can offer an insight!
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    +1 on false gauge readings - and possible faulty thermostat. If the water pump is working correctly and your thermostat is installed correctly as well - your top radiator hose would be hot to touch and your heater blowing nice and toasty in the cab. Your engine is more than likely now at its normal operating temp due to the big clean out. Heat is the enemy of these engines (along with being abused by monkeys - but that's a different story all together...) Test your gauge by grounding the sender wire from the temp sender unit and see what impact it has on the gauge. If it peaks then the gauge is working and the issue is the sender. If you get little response then you have a wiring fault somewhere between the engine bay and the instrument cluster.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Well i checked everything today everything still looked fine but i went ahead and bought a new thermostat and gasket and it seems to have fixed the problem. Im not sure what was wrong with the other one it looked fine and fit right. Thanks for the input guys

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Did it say...Made in China on it? lol That might be why..

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Not sure where exactly it was made it was a stant.