Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V8

RearEnd ?'s for narrower, disc, swap

one of my next plans for my truck is atleast a 2" body drop. i dont want to run into problems with rear tire fitment. I am not the type of guy to go spend 3k+ on rims. I dont even know if there will be a fitment problem but i want disc, and if i can get all of what i want and something that will help with clearance! I think i should grab it.

I am looking at getting a rear end that has factory disc brakes, is a little bit narrower, and is six lug. For now plans are 18, 20, 22'' factory wheels off denali, escalade, s.s. silverado, etc.

I know of older yotas and pathfinders come with disc. They are around an inch smaller. And six lug.

I need to find out if i can tuck a 20'' or 22'' factory wheel as stated above...with a stock rear, 2'' bd, no flaring bed sides ---and of course i will be bagged..riding low.

OR WHAT ALL DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT IT. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    I just put in a Montero rear end from a 85 but it has drums. Its about an 1" narrower on each side. I am running 17" Escalade rims and 4" blocks and it fits nice. Its exactly the same size as a stock mm rearend from spring mount to spring mount so it bolts right up. They also have a LSD in them but you have to swap the ring gear to get the proper rearend ratio or just put your stock mm pumpkin in.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrockman View Post
    I just put in a Montero rear end from a 85 but it has drums. Its about an 1" narrower on each side. I am running 17" Escalade rims and 4" blocks and it fits nice. Its exactly the same size as a stock mm rearend from spring mount to spring mount so it bolts right up. They also have a LSD in them but you have to swap the ring gear to get the proper rearend ratio or just put your stock mm pumpkin in.
    thanks man...i will be in search of. is there an option for disc..or do you know any swaps to convert..without having to get parts from all kinds of trucks...im new to the mitsubishi dodge thing..

Array
    Status
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I don't know. I was looking for a simple swap because I had a bent axel. I did some measuring and found the Montero fit and had an LSD and would help my tires clear the fenders.

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    thanks man i guess i will have to do some research and see whats up with the disc brakes. Whatever gives me a little narrower and disc with 6 lug is what i will go with.

ill keep you all posted on my finds and progress

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    look for the 4 door monteros - they are more likely to have the disc brake rear 89-94 1st gen with leafs or montero sports
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    look for the 4 door monteros - they are more likely to have the disc brake rear 89-94 1st gen with leafs or montero sports
    thanks alot im trying to hit a few yards this weekend..ill keep an eye out..

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    ok...i am def. going with a small block chevy...so with this rearend situation ----i need something i can use stock to handle a little power...

im going with a mild build. nothing crazy. need about an inch narrower but would like a little more. Im not to worried about disc but that would be nice. And of course i need it six lug...
    DOES ANYONE KNOW THE WIDTH OF THE REAREND IN A 95 MIGHTY MAX? WHERE DO THEY MEASURE FROM....

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL HELP

Array
    Status
    Morgantown, KY
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type
    Why not a small block Mopar? (And don't tell me SBC's are cheaper)

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Quote Originally Posted by foolonthehill View Post
    Why not a small block Mopar? (And don't tell me SBC's are cheaper)
    they are cheaper for me...i have a couple blocks, sets of heads, intakes, etc. plus i dont know anyone including myself that has any knowledge mopars. .....

i cant even name a mopar motor.....wait they make a hemi....

BESIDES EITHER WAY I NEED THE REAR TO FIT WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR.....

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Montero sports or 2nd gen monteros have a 9" rear that will handle about anything a sbc can dish out.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Montero sports or 2nd gen monteros have a 9" rear that will handle about anything a sbc can dish out.
    yeah i have to find the exact width from the mighty max and the montero. i might have to go with an older yota axle from what i have been figuring. Depending on what rims i decide to use..and how much my body drop will interfere with the tires tucking.

only problem is i havent seen one of these in a yard near me for a long time......well the search continues...!!!!!

thanks man

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    i have been reading and this is what i found out so far...dont know if it is correct info but here....
    explorer 8.8...59 1/2 wide
    ranger 8.8.....58 1/2 wide
    toy 79-85.....55 wide
    toy 86-95.....58 1/2 wide
    mitsu MM....55wide
    to me i think the best would be the 79-85 toy
    again this is from an hour or so searching....
    IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER INFO TO ADD OR CORRECTIONS TO MY FINDINGS PLEASE DO SO!!!

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    thanks man i have been looking too.my next buy besides metal will be a rear...its critical at this point...and i have to find time to look local and find one, then have time to go get it........the things we go through for our trucks....lol

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Ford Maverick has a 8" This is from memory. I believe that is 56" even some of the ford vans were the same width.
    I have a 95 ford exploder is 59.5" it has 11" disc. What I did was pull the axles cut the left axle tube off (3" chunk/pumpkin offset) and reinserted it. Then I went out and got another right axle and it came out at 56 11/16" wide. Yeah it is a pain in the ass to do but, isn't all we do to our trucks that way?
    Too bad mightyd50 went down, I had ALL this info your are looking for.
    You don't want larger disc in the rear, I have 11" disc on all 4's, But I'm all ford front and rear.
    Last edited by Rickdees; 07-10-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    lk sorry to mess your thread up man BUT RICKDEES...what did ya use ford up front? and do you have MM calipers or did ya go with something else...and if so..what did ya do....

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    No basically the only thing stock on my truck is the seats and steering wheel.
    When I was thinking 18" wheels (more mass to stop), I was also thinking larger brakes. I ended up with a Pinto IFS (56" wide) that Ford also used in the Mustang II.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    very nice..no more rear steer.....i was kicking something like that around BUT i want to actually drive this truck more then the several year long s10 project i just sold....im trying to keep it simple...thanks for the info.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B-T
    We had a 97 montero sport 4x4 come in the shop today. I was driving my co-worker crazy while he was trying to do a simple brake job. Got the tape measure out and kept takin measurements while he was taking stuff apart. The front calipers are dual piston which is cool and the caliper bracket looks like it would bolt right up to the factory mighty max spindle but the backing plate gets in the way.....maybe some cutting would be in order.The front rotors are about 1 inch larger in diamter but I dont know for sure if they will mount to the factory bearing hub. One problem I see with the rear end is the size of the opening in the wheels. I could not fit my wheels on it cause the axles have a much larger centering hub on the axle flange. Sorry, no pics. This also presents a problem if trying to just swap the rear disc brakes from a montero because the rotor will not be centered on the smaller 4x2 mighty max axle flange.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The disc brake setup you need is from a first gen 4 door montero - the axles are nearly identical to the truck rear. Should be an easy swap if you don't want to pull the housing from the leafs.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    ok guys...i had to go back and read all this stuff again. Thanks to everyone that is replying and donating info..i am now on the hunt...just gonna go out and start searching for monteros first. But thinking until i get it all worked out i am gonna just use the stock rear to get my frame together and my bags set up.

keep the info coming....pics too if you can. thanks again.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    The caliper and bracket should bolt up if it the same as a 92 montero those calipers are on the front of my mighty max since 2009. The brakes are amazing they almost feel like brakes on a evo. Im still trying to find a bigger set of rotors that bolt up

Array
    Status
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle

Engine

Chevy V8
    Rahtid--thanks for the pics. Info is great. I will be looking for a 92 montero since you are showing they fit. Are their any parts i have to substitute to make this work or is it all just take off montero and stick on mighty max....

--caliper?
    Rotor?
    etc?

thanks
    kenny

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Just order loaded calipers for a 92-96 Montero SR so you will have brake pads with the calipers
    Now would the best time to upgrade the brake hoses to Steel Braided Brake Lines, I have the goodridge g stop lines on my truck

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    The disc brake setup you need is from a first gen 4 door montero - the axles are nearly identical to the truck rear. Should be an easy swap if you don't want to pull the housing from the leafs.
    No first gen ever made it to the states with rear discs. 1st Gen 4door Montero's were also coil spring/trailing arm setup in the back. Only ones to ever get leaves were 4cyl 2door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast