Thread: RearEnd ?'s for narrower, disc, swap

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    Montero sport got leaves and discs but it's not really considered a montero in the rest of the world, it's called a challenger. SUV based on the truck (Triton) frame.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hmmm, I must have been seeing things when I almost bought the rear disk rear from a 91 4 door montero about a year ago - it was leaf springs also. I currently have a 9" lsd rear with disks from a 95 montero - it was trailing arms with coils, panhard rod and airshocks - got it all with the driveshaft for 200.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    97 Isuzu Rodeo. Dana 44, disk brake, it's 4 inch wider then a stock first generation. And you can get full lockers, ARB Lockers, LSD, full gear sets.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    got to thinking about this and how to do this for reasonable money wise. Here is what i came up with after some research. What if you put stock 50 rotors from front on rear same bolt pattern same center bore. only issue could be backing plate spacing but your going to, have to modify it anyway for caliper. Then use a caliper from 88-95 Isuzu Trooper has rear discs and caliper has built in manual e-brake that is designed to work with hand lever. So mods needed would be backing plate, custom caliper mounting bracket, brake line, and maybe ebrake attachment to cables. did i miss anything.

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    that would work. it just takes a bit of measuring. Jeremy over at HRCS put Viper rear disk calipers on his turbo max. You would need to make sure the offset of the rotor will allow the rim to be on without hitting the caliper, the MM rotor might not work but a tape measure and some time would tell....

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Front rotors on the d50 do not go over studs, but the rear rotors from the montero do - haven't tried the new rotors I have from the 9" rear on the rear of the 1980 d-50 rear, but I will this weekend when pull the drums and let you know what I find.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    good call on the rotors over studs..., i didnt even see that part, i was referring to making the caliper work by fabbn a bracket..

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    97 Isuzu Rodeo. $350 complete from the junk yards. But get it with the E-brake cables. It it the best way to go. But if you can find the Iron Man version it is a Dana 60 Rare to find but you never know.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    There is an iron man here on base, think the owner might get a peeved if i appropriated his rear axle. doing some more research thinking just the rear rotor from a rodeo or trooper would work only issue might be its diameter.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/w...ion/index.html

I thought this was interesting. Apparently there is a rear disc kit for toyota pickups. The guys at minitrukin mag wrote an article several years ago. since they had already done the toyota five-lug swap. It seems the thing to do is get the yota rear axle with a supra limited slip. Pretty cool. Unfortunately I didnt see anything about the emergency brake. I gotta have the e-brake on a manual trans truck. The kit looks like 90's era gm stuff like s10, astro van , etc. ( with custom brackets and spacers). When i followed the link to the supplier I came up empty so i dunno if they still make it or how much it is.

I already have 05 chevy 1500 wheels on my truck and I was hoping to get the rear disc setup from a similar truck since the bolt pattern is the same. I would just have to enlarge the hub hole in the center of the rotor to slide it onto the axle. Problem is the e-brake is not part of the caliper ( its a drum brake style e-brake assembly inside the rotor hat). So maybe I can still use the rear rotors providing that the offset does not interfere with anything and then source a caliper from some other vehicle.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The disc brake kit for the yota rear was from downey off road - been around for many years. Its the same setup as on Ernie Macais' cover truck - too bad the ahole who slammed into him didn't have that setup.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Chesterton, IN
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    the company is no longer around, BUT tre 5 customs makes a bracket to use gm metric calipers and mustang svo rotors. brackets cost $150, i just talked to him about it on facebook last week... If you want to use an emergency brake then use caddy calipers...i dont know all the years right now but i have it somewhere...This is a for sure info.

Array
    Status
    fort worth
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72-T

rear mm axel width?

i measured my rear axle and i got 57 inches from outer hub to outer hub but this quote says 55 did i miss something? im looking to do a 5 lug swap

Quote Originally Posted by Payrion View Post
    i have been reading and this is what i found out so far...dont know if it is correct info but here....
    explorer 8.8...59 1/2 wide
    ranger 8.8.....58 1/2 wide
    toy 79-85.....55 wide
    toy 86-95.....58 1/2 wide
    mitsu MM....55wide
    to me i think the best would be the 79-85 toy
    again this is from an hour or so searching....
    IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER INFO TO ADD OR CORRECTIONS TO MY FINDINGS PLEASE DO SO!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12