Well the starter decided to grind instead of turn over the engine & we replaced that. Wondering if I should have used locktite on the 2 bolts for that. No problems since it was replaced about 2 months ago (about 104k miles old if it was the original 1984 starter - any interest in that? Worth rebuilding? Or should I just turn it in to the parts store for the $19 core refund? Would appreciate any advice on that, unsure how long to expect the new starter to last *shrugs* IMHO they made older things better usually... so unsure. I tried my best to see the teeth in the hole that the starter gears touch and they didn't look damaged. BF was starting the truck when he said he tried 3x and then stopped because of the grinding noise. He didn't dare keep trying, thank goodness. So far so good w/the new starter.

The truck seems to have an intermittent issue though I thought it may have been related to the old starter... I'm waiting to see if it happens again. When the truck is warm - not hot and not dead cold, but only say about 2-4 hours after being parked - it makes that noise like the battery has just enough power to start it, like you best step on the gas right away to get it to start fast because the battery needs charged. It never did it dead cold start in the morning or in a store parking lot. Weird. Will update if it happens again. Runs fine once it starts though, acts like nothings wrong. Strange!

Had a super slow leak on the driver side front tire, turned out to be the rubber air filler thing I forget the name of right now. The tire guy I've been using for ever asked me why the truck still makes a clunk noise and I told him I still haven't figured out what it is! So he jacks up the back, wiggles the driver side rear tire and says "u-joints" and you better take care of that right away. Got the ujoints from the local part store & then started taking pics of under the truck and found this:

IMG_4482.jpg

Yeah so it's a blurry pic but that rubber isn't supposed to look dried with missing chunks. I looked in the book & found out what that part was called & got one ordered from rock auto same day.

IMG_4489.jpg

Hm, yeah that looks great, no? Guess that explained the clunking sounds. Oh, and the auto shifting gear handle vibration that was driving me crazy & made me keep checking the transmission fluid for no reason at all.

Okay so the vibration that my tire guy asked me about was the ujoint(s) / center carrier bearing. The 3 ujoints & center bearing are all replaced now, but I've only taken her up to 35mph so far - you know, just in case I messed up. I don't want to actually die if the bolts aren't tight enough. Waiting to see if I hear a weird sound or not & then will slowly take it up to 40, 45, 50, 55... unsure since I've never done a driveshaft until this last week. I did try my best to use the torque specs in the book though so should be okay.

On the upside the truck drives MUCH better now & doesn't vibrate nearly as much as before (duh I guess). People kept asking me if it vibrated over 40mph and I kept saying hell if I know, it vibrates all the time, it needs new shocks, blah blah I didn't even know there was a center bearing thing like that. Stupid new owner me learned a new lesson though and nothing actually broke off while I was being ignorant - thank goodness.

By the way the cheapest local parts store wanted $91 for the center carrier bearing, mid range store said $141 and the one in the big city said $190. Rock auto said $37 w/shipping so they won and got the business.

I put on ujoints that have no grease points on them - unsure if that was okay or not but for $9.99 each that was what I did. If they need regreased at least now I know how to take it all apart & put on new different parts.

Anyway just a little update and FYI for anyone else who's truck doesn't (only) vibrate over 40mph LOL haha oh em gee, if it vibrates at any speed, check out that bearing