Thread: 1991 mitsu. 4x4 new owner and member.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

1991 mitsu. 4x4 new owner and member.

I have been checking out post an info online. Very informative. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle and was told it was in good shape. Not at all true. Previous owner not sure where the truck came from. Found owner before him was a good friend of mine who bought and sold it pretty quickly because he got a good truck story also but found out differently and did not want to mess with it. I got this truck hearing a different story then he was giving and i new it couldnt be the same truck because it came from two different states bt when finally got it running enough to drive i passed by his home and he got a good laugh it was the truck he got rid of fairly quickly. Haha but i digress. I have changed all belts,idler pulleys, on the front end. I have also installed new plugs, wires, distributor cap. Alo bought and changed o2 sensor it showed bad from readout from ecm. Cleared that code. I also changed battery cleaned grounds under the hood. I am also gettting code for tdc indicator problem. Had low idle when first got truck i think. It would not even stay running at idle it would die. Also had problem starting, had to pump accelerator to start. Doing better now. It will turn over a little now and start but idles about 1200 rpms according to onboard dash tach. Truck shows 84,000. Miles on it. Not sure how hard they were. Tried to check idle air sensor 88 ohms. Little higher than manual shows. Didnt feel any movement servo when switch turned on. Read in post these need to be changed asap and has me worried. Pulled ecm today to check for bad capacitors but looks like they have been changed. But not same as i saw in info on how to repair. Not sure if i should have asked seperate questions. Excuse the newbie.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Have you checked the ecu for leaky caps?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    No such thing as a dumb question.
    You will find lots of guys here to help you keep from doing things they learned the hard way.
    Trust me when we tell you we have seen it on here. There is a thread for the new owner to look over. It gives you some things to start to look at when fixing things. Many times it's the little things that cause problems.
    You can work off this thread on your questions. It's up to you. And welcome to the site.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    yes I have checked or opened the ecu. looks like it has been worked on already. wish there was an easy way to check it. I also bought timing belt and water pump. I am more worried bout idle problem and low power when first cranked. need to get idle down to check timing.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    also started changing transmission fluids. changed fuel filter also.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    i wialso check fuel pressure and compression. and get back .

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    My ecu had been worked on too with all sorts of revile stickers all over it. I ended up pulling a 91 stealth ecu and plugging it in. Truck runs much better now.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    FYI as for fuel injector cleaner staybil blue for ethanol works great. get big bottle at walmart for 14$ treats 320 gallons of gas. i have successfully used it in boat,cars and my trucks. works great. they are changing to staybil 360, dont know how it works but the older kind works great also available cheap at academy. tis i all i put in gas for truck to start running a lot better.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    You can get the StaBil Blue by the gallon on Amazon and Ebay and refill the bottle - been using it for 3 years now in all my vehicles.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    #1 tdc code from ecm can only be fixed by changing the entire distribitor.???

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BUGS4G View Post
    #1 tdc code from ecm can only be fixed by changing the entire distribitor.???
    It shouldn't need to be completely replaced - there's a module inside the distributor that fails. It's been doing it's funky thing for over 20 years and doing things like leaving the ignition on without the engine running will cause them to fail sooner.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    the photo eye is not an option at rock auto only the whole dist. unit. might have to go used if i can find it.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    changed distributor and still not reading #1 TDC . still getting code 2-3. sent off ecm for check and they say it is bad. should get back next week.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    see how it runs when I get it back and installed. 415$ later.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    got ecm installed and still getting code 2-3. not reading #1 TDC. not running any better. will continue checking and get back to youll. Checking wiring next ass soon as I find out what I am looking for.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Called the guy that did my ecm and no help0 on why i am still getting same 2-3 code not reading #1 tdc.
    Could some one give me the pin # this should be on ecm so i can check if getting any signal. I went accotrding to manual and chaged the ntire distbator and no help on clearing the code. I had askedthe guy that worked on it for the info but he stated i will have to sen it back. I will if i knew i was getting the sigmnal to the ecm but just dont knw wat pin to check and what reading i should be getting. Thanks for help in advance

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I dont know what happened to earlier message nothing spelled right. I can re do if someone need me too.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Have you put the engine management into diagnostic mode while setting the distributor? It's that infamous single wire in the engine bay you need to ground while altering the ignition timing. I'm pretty sure it's the same set up in the V6 as the 4G63/64. There are a number of write ups on it - LSR Mike's posts/threads are a good place to start.

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I will ground wire and ge3t back too you. Thanks for quick response

Array
    Status
    IOWA, LA.
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    grounded the wire and still not clearing the 2-3 code not reading TDC #1. I disconnected the battery an cleared code but comes right back on after starting engine. does anyone have the diagram for the 1991 3.0 v-6 computer to see what pin I could check to see if I am actually getting signal to the ecm. so I can say that the ecm Is bad or I might have a bad wire coming from distributor. I have found diagrams on 4-g engines but cant seem to find the one for the v-6.