Thread: Ford engine swap.mitsu body swap.

Array
    Status
    Alexandria, Ohio
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Other

Ford engine swap.mitsu body swap.

I know this ain't a ford site, but I'm planning on swapping the body off my mitsu onto my '78 ford 4x4. At the moment I'm stripping the paint and crud off the frame. Anyways it originaly came with a 351m, c6, and np203. The transmission I'm getting rid of, I never cared for auto's. So I planned on getting a np435 (got one in a 68 f250) and figured to sell the 351m and get something else. But the problem is, I've been reading alot and some hate it, others love them ect ect, but I'm thinking of instead of throwing a ton of money at it to make more power, like 400 crank, pistons, 0 degreed cam, heads, intake, ect ect, that I'd be better off buying a mid to late 60's 390 (know a guy that has one for $200 with cobra aluminum valve covers, probably worth something) but it'll need rebuilt, but It wouldn't need a whole lot. I could keep most of the stuff from it without spending so much. But would I be better off with something smaller like a 351w? Remember, I'm putting an '88 sportcab mitsu truck on that frame (yes the wheel base is the same) would that 390 fit in there okay? I havn't measured it, but I do know I have to rebuild my firewall anyways because I kinda had to cut it up to get that rear sump jeep 2.5 to fit in with the transmission, It wasn't fun lol. Any ways I know I'm pretty stupid doing this, but I like the challenge, got patience, and every tool imaginable, plus it helps that I do mechanical work and my dad does body work, so I'm pretty set there. Personally I think the 390 would be the way to go, plus it's just a neat work horse. What do you all think, and be nice!! Lol. Oh and whenever I actually get further on in the project, I'll post pics, like I said, I'm working on stripping the frame and completely rebuilding it, so it'll be a bit!!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If guys are dropping SB V8's into these trucks without full frame swaps then I'd put easy money on this working. It will depend on where the drivetrain sits in the Ford frame in comparison to the Ram50. It will save some headaches and create a few new left field problems like steering alignment and radiator fitment. Nothing big but it will need unique mods to glue it all together.

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    In for progress, sounds pretty badass if ya ask me.