Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What other years models will fit a 1986 D50?

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

What other years models will fit a 1986 D50?

Hi! i recently traded some things for a 1986 dodge D50 4x4 and ive decided to turn it into a project thing. Im wanting new fenders and front bumper assy and tailgate etc. But everything im finding online is 1984-85 and 87+ and all the websites say they "Dont fit 1986". How accurate is this? can a 1987 bumper fit the 1986? Will the '87 fenders fit the 86?

Im totally new to this truck and anything about it, in fact i never really thought id enjoy anything with vehicles but thats proving to be false lol.

Thank you for any help!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi FRODONKY, welcome to mightyram. 1986 is the transition year between body types. So, depending on when it was built that year it could either be a gen 1 or a gen 2. Round wheel arches and chrome door handles = gen 1. Gen 2 are the more obviously modern designed version. Glad it's made a fan out of you

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey there! thank you for the reply :D
    I believe on it somewhere says it was BUILT in 85, but the title and other stuff on it says 1986. IM assuming mine is a 1st gen then because i dont think anything on it is modern except what ive put on it lol. The interior is a mess and the previou owner mashed in the fenders near the doors so the large tires would clear (hey dont get mad at me, he did it) the front bumper is mashed in. the whole truck is a crappy rhino liner pint job, however it runs like a top. The guy used it as a hunting truck so there is nothing pretty about it but i want to change that and im looking for interior and exterior parts to make it look good again. My problem is everything im finding online to buy seems to be a 1987 Part. I am just wondering if parts from a 1987 D50 will fit my 86?

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Welcome to the forum.........Got pictures?

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Why yes i do but they are on my phone, give me a sec and ill try and upload them.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Truck1.jpgTruck2.jpgtruck3.jpgtruck4.jpg
    you cant see very well from the pictures but the fenders behind each front tire are pushed in and bent, as well as the tailgate and the front bumper. I have actually started an organization for veterans with PTSD and depression and this is turning into my "Therepy" project for them/us. But im having a helluva time finding fenders and bumpers/tailgates that fit this thing online.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    front bumpers fit from 83- 86, front fenders from 79 - 86, tailgate from 79 - 86. The confusion is the 86 mid year change - The 2nd gen trucks started in March of 86 as an 86, but is the squared off body of the 87 up models. You can also run an 79 - 82 front (narrow) bumper if you change out the brackets and turn signals. Keep us posted on the progress - we are willing to help!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ohh sweet thank you! that'll be a huge help! like I said i wasnt ever big in rebuilding cars or anything to do with vehicles really. Just wasn't my "Bag" but ever since i got this little thing im finding out i enjoy it more than i thought so im a total newbie. Thank you guys for the warm welcome and the help! At the moment im at kind of a stand still with the engine, its at the machine shop getting all fixed up, ill keep posting as i progress with it. Is it ok to do that here on this topic or should i post that somewhere else?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Dude, this is a noble and worthy enterprise you have offered up. PTSD is a cruel affliction that needs more support and attention. Your D-50 group project is a metaphor in itself.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey thank you! After i got out of the military and came home i started seeing SO many vets around here that just seemed stuck in a loop of hopelessness. Ive had several guys show up at the shop to bring parts and to make a new friend and to have an interaction with another vet. Ive been able to get local business and city council people to donate some cash and a space for us to talk and hang. Because the truck is kinda ugly and we are rebuilding the engine and mechanicals first our slogan has become something along the lines of "Focus on beautifying the inside before you pay attention to the outside". This little truck project is turning into something bigger than i anticipated for myself and some local fellas. Had a guy start a gofundme page and everything. Thanks for the support! I Appreciate that.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-92-MITSUB...-/200810557491

hey do you guys think this would fit my 1st gen 86? the dimensions look the same. Anyone have any input or opinions?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Centre section looks the same but the end caps look longer than the gen 1's. Not seeing any mounting holes but that's nothing a drill won't fix.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok sweet. Well my end caps are just fine but the middle section is all bashed in, you can see it in the pictures above. I think ill buy it and give it a shot. Thank you!!!

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    what's the history on this truck?(it used to live in a cold climate)....I see a block heater & what appears to be an aftermarket bracket (maybe for a snowplow hydraulic pump set-up) in front of the distributor (my brother had a plow on his 2nd gen), also see a relay mounted to the fender well below the coil.
    OH! & before I forget here is the rockauto.com discount link:
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...nt-Code-Thread

~

Have you thought about cutting the fenders like this: because if you plan on keeping the current tire/rim combo stock fenders will not fit.

I also see the fresh air duct MD030810 is missing:
    http://www.group1autoparts.com/dodge/ram-50/md030810/1984-year/sport-trim/2-6l-l4-gas-engine/engine-cat/air-inlet-scat/?part_name=duct

you can probably get crafty & make one (otherwise the carb is sucking in hot instead of cold air slightly decreasing performance/mpg). also the center hold down is missing from the carburetor so it is directly sucking in dust/etc & i'm guessing the air "cover" MD604881 must be vibrating.

the front bumper has seen better days...I can't tell from the pic if it is worth saving, but I was able to remove a smaller "smack" by placing the front bumper face down on a heavy blanket (so as not to scratch it) in the garage & place a (slightly modified) 2x6 on the back side where I applied downward pressure using my backhoe (I know I know not everyone has a backhoe in their pocket but if you have access to 1 it was a super easy quick fix).

The ignition wires appear to be recent but I don't like how they are touching other wires & metal components (like underside of the vibrating air intake...over time the outer coating will wear thin & arcing of electricity will occur & cause misfires/hard starting)

the hood scoop is awesome (would like to see some pics how it was attached) & interior pics!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was just looking at the engine bay pic and noticed the charcoal can in the front corner of the engine bay where the air intake duct is meant to go (?). I would be thinking the same as RT in regards to modified fenders. The bottom corners look like they'd get mashed by those huge wheels without too much trouble. It is a beast!

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Hey guys! Well the history as far as i know is its pretty much always been in Texas, now i could be wrong and maybe it spent a LITTLE time elsewhere but im not 100% on the whole back story. This truck was used by a friend of mines dad as a farm truck for a long time. it was just used to drive around on the farm and to go hunting etc. with. Basically just a toy to ride around in. As for the bracket, theres a towing kit on this truck and i think it used to have a wench attached to it somewhere.
    You know i never even thought of just trimming the fenders back a little, the rest of the fender is just fine its just behind the tire its pushed in a little to accommodate the tires. Thats a great idea! thank you for that.

Now here is where you guys will laugh at me. Just remember that im new to working on vehicles and terminology. I have no idea what a charcoal can is or what youre talking about. I can change oil and tires and thats about the extent of my knowledge. Let me describe as best i can how the truck was given to me....

The truck was beat to crap, the ENTIRE engine bay was black and caked in mud and had sticks in it. The picture of the engine bay you see here is after parts were taken out of it and cleaned a bit so its not all there in this photo. Also they had 2 different push start buttons hot wired into the cab that ran to the starter and something else and the entire engine bay was just COVERED in random wires hooked all over the place to all kinds of random crap dangling around. My buddy who owns the shop its sitting at has taken most of that crap out but hes been having to trace wires and pull stuff out and figure out just exactly what kind of ghetto rigging they did to it. Seriously this truck was in disarray when i got it, the previous owners really didn't give a crap about it and just rigged stuff up for whatever reason. I do know they replaced the oil pump and ignition i think and a couple things on it but didn't do a very good job at it. I know it still looks like crap in the engine bay but it looks WAY different than when i first got it. I think i have a picture somewhere of it when i first got it ill try and post that when i find it.

Yes the hood is one thing i REALLY liked about it, it looks pretty sweet. Im actually responding to this at work right now and its dark out, but tomorrow ill go up to the shop and get some photos of the hood and the interior and ill try and get a few betters photos of it over all and post them.

You guys are awesome thank you for tossing out ideas and talking to me about it, its cool having some folks brains to pick. Im a complete newbie at this. Ive actually got quite a few new parts on order for the truck and once my friend gets to it here in a few days maybe next week we are ripping the engine out and sending it to the machine shop to be cleaned and bored and rebuilt, im pretty much overhauling the entire thing from brake systems to transmission to engine/motor. Im just in the beginning stages of it so just waiting on parts and whatnot.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Was also looking at sticking some headers on it, that work out pretty well on these? Any suggestions on which brand/type?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by FRODONKY View Post
    Was also looking at sticking some headers on it, that work out pretty well on these? Any suggestions on which brand/type?
    Hell yes. And add an exhaust system to it - 2 1/4" to get it breathing. These engines are held back by gas flow so anything you can do to improve that will give it some extra usable muscle. I can see a Weber carb in your future...

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Haha ok sweet deal, Yeah ive actually already got the Weber :D just sitting in the box until i get the engone taken apart and cleaned and back from the machine shop before i put it on. pretty much refurbing and buying new parts for the entire engine. itll be a new truck by the time im done! :D updates will be slow until i start getting the parts back and such. Ive got the Weber, new power steering pump/gear, entire rebuild kit, new pistons .40 over, new timing kit, new filter kit, starter, ignition, radiator, in the process of rebuilding the tranny, new battery and more. Its just a waiting game but once i have it all itll be put back together pretty quick! im pretty excited about it. Going to get some pictures of more of the truck tomorrow, the interior looks like crap, thats going to be a big job too i think.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Interiors aren't that bigger challenge. The innards of the gen 1 cabs are simple in construction and with a bit of lateral thinking you can pull off big transformations on a beans and bread budget. Carpet is crap? The floor pans have shallow transmission tunnels like most FWD cars - measure, trim and tweak it to fit. Sports seats are a tape measure, drill, and a handful of nuts and bolts away. Door cards and kick panels are easy to make from MDF panel board - you can shape it with steam too. Guys here have made all sorts of custom interior quick fixes on the cheap (me included). You can use literally any door grab handle by drilling new mount holes and buying a pack of nylon lugs to anchor them to. Spray glue and vinyl colour sprays are easy to use and cheap.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Right on! thats good news lol. I guess my issue with some of that is im not exactly a handy man, in fact the only tools i own are the socket set and screwdriver set in the trunk of my car. I have no idea how to do any of what you just suggested haha. Im still learning stuff and have been having to use the tools and what little room my buddy lets me use at his shop, but hey Google is a good friend right?! :D and once im done with making it run great ill have more time to learn how to fabricate things for it. My main focus the last few weeks has been the vroom vroom part. Just the few weeks ive been working on this thing and spending time with some guys and my buddy has been a great learning experience, the more time i spend with this truck doing this kind of thing the more i enjoy it. Also you guys ive met on this website have been a TREMENDOUS help suggesting ideas and helping me pick the right parts. Whenever we Organize a meet up with everyone the first round is on me!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Bare minimum of tools you'll need are a drill, jigsaw, tape measure, handyman knife and a marker/pencil (you'll need screwdrivers and a ratchet set to pull the truck apart). If you can trace, then you can make templates out of cardboard and it's a zero buck material. Once you got all the holes and edges right you can transfer everything to the MDF panel board and start cutting/drilling. Fitting seats from another car is a little more complicated but as I mentioned earlier, the floor pans in these trucks are nice and flat. I think there are straight swap options from the Montero Sports but I'm not 100% on that.
    Just cleaning the hell out of the inside of the cab goes a long way and they are easy to strip out and put back in.

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Well hell that doesnt sound too bad. Sounds fairly simple actually and cheap! I just got back with some pictures. Im uploading them by email at the moment. Ill have them up here shortly!

Array
    Status
    Fort worth, TX
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    20160213_135435.jpg20160213_135505.jpg20160213_135627.jpg

RT you had said you want to see the scoop ad how its attached, it looks like its basically screwed in from the bottom. Ghetto status!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast