Array
    Status
    NC
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Did I screw the timing up?

Replaced the valve stem seals in my truck and now it cranks+no start. I was meticulous during the process, or so I thought. Not getting too far in diagnosing the reason sadly. I seem to have fuel (can smell it on the plugs) , spark, and cylinders have even (+/- 5psi) compression. Distributor was not removed during this process.

Then I read in the Chilton manual about removing the rocker assembly:

"Have an assistant hold the camshaft firmly in place as you remove the rocker assembly. The tension of the timing belt will try to pop the camshaft out of its journals; this must NOT be allowed to happen. If this should happen, you'll need to reinstall the camshaft and timing belt."

I didn't see this blurb since I was referring to my Haynes during removal. My camshaft *totally* lifted as I removed the rockers. Then I saw this after I put it all back together with the new stem seals:

IMG_0343.jpg

One tooth off at the cam with the crank at TDC. I'm almost positive that I didn't turn the camshaft when I removed the rockers. I had the belt marked in two places.

Could this somehow be preventing me from starting? Do I really need to reinstall camshaft and timing belt?

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images