Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Running Lights

I bought a 1995 2wd mighty max a couple weeks ago. The previous owner had mounted those running lights that are mounted to the ceiling of the cab but I don't believe he has wired them up yet as they aren't currently working. So I figured that it's a pretty cool look and decided I would like to finish the job. Should I wire them up to the fuse box with the stock running lights or should I clear out another slot for them. I'm not very good with electrical so if you have an explanation please dumb it down so it's fairly understandable.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    O.k. my advice is to use an illuminated switch so you can tell they are on or off. How you power them is up to you. Ask yourself how you're going to use them - driving only, use them if you're stationary with the engine off, as extra forward lighting with your headlights etc. I would not run them straight off the battery with a switch as you can easily forget to turn them off and leave the truck. Hook up the lights using a relay from the battery and then use power from whatever powered circuit works best for you. On accessory power so if you forget to turn them off and pull the keys out, they die - from the main ignition circuit so they only work when the engine is running - from the headlight circuit so they only work with the headlights etc.

I found a circuit diagram that best explains how to use a relay in auxiliary driving lights -

relay-diagram_small2.jpg

it looks a little tricky with the relay in the circuit but once you take a look at a relay and see the numbers underneath it next to the terminals it's a cake walk. Power off the battery with a 25A fuse, power from another circuit to act as a 'trigger' which will pull minimal current from that circuit with a low amp fuse just in case. Hope this makes sense to you.