Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T

EGT Probe Placement

This may seem kind of trivial, but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask others. Where do you guys put the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold? I'm thinking location C in the picture below. Thoughts?

EGT Placement.jpg

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    mine is currently in the downpipe tube 1/2" from the turbo, waiting for my adapter, then it will be at the A on your pic, but on the adapter about 1" from the mani

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    mine is currently in the downpipe tube 1/2" from the turbo, waiting for my adapter, then it will be at the A on your pic, but on the adapter about 1" from the mani
    When you say adapter, are you referring to like a threaded weld-on bung? I was planning to drill and tap the manifold directly with a 1/8" NPT tap, at least that was my understanding as to how most are installed.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouse View Post
    When you say adapter, are you referring to like a threaded weld-on bung? I was planning to drill and tap the manifold directly with a 1/8" NPT tap, at least that was my understanding as to how most are installed.
    no, i have a t3 adapter being set to me lol

Array
    Status
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I made a 1/2" thick spacer that went between the manifold and the turbo that let me put mine in at position A. It was kind of a hassle; the spacer required a set of 1/2" spacers between the intake manifold and the head, and longer studs in the manifold and head. Drilling and tapping the manifold should work just fine, however; I did mine my way because I had access to my dad's machine shop and didn't want to modify such a "rare" exhaust manifold.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by cadguy06 View Post
    I made a 1/2" thick spacer that went between the manifold and the turbo that let me put mine in at position A. It was kind of a hassle; the spacer required a set of 1/2" spacers between the intake manifold and the head, and longer studs in the manifold and head. Drilling and tapping the manifold should work just fine, however; I did mine my way because I had access to my dad's machine shop and didn't want to modify such a "rare" exhaust manifold.
    wait..why did you have to space the intake?

Array
    Status
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I've got the '83 non-waste gated, non-EGR, non-IC setup (TC05 turbo). Using the spacer on the exhaust side moved the entire turbo out. The compressor outlet points straight up, without any room for misalignment from the 90* elbow that bolts to the intake mani. Further-more, on the non-EGR intake mani, that elbow is at a 45* to the long axis of the engine. The easiest place for me to fix the gap was between the intake manifold and the head. I'll take a couple photos when I get home from work to show what I did/what I mean.

Like I said before, the easiest solution is to simply drill and tap the exhaust manifold. When I made the spacers, I still thought the diesels were rare enough that I'd likely never find another manifold, and if I ever wanted it to be 100% stock again, permanently modifying the manifold was something I wanted to avoid. I've since picked up another 2 diesels, and another 3 manifolds, and knowing what I know now, I probably would have just taken the easy way out.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I'm in the same boat with the 83' setup, though I'll be running a front mount intercooler shortly, so the offset from a spacer wouldn't be an issue.

Seeing as the 4d55 heads are not crossflow (the exhaust and intake are on the same side), I've considered making a phenolic spacer for the intake manifold to help insulate it from the exhaust heat. Probably not worth the effort, but it'd be an inexpensive project that (arguably) helps reduce intake temperature (and could have the added benefit of offsetting the intake to match a spaced out turbo).

For now I'm going to just drill out the exhaust manifold at location C if I can fit my drill in there, otherwise it'll go in A.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    EGT sensor on a turbo goes before the turbo
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com