Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55

How to replace fan clutch? 4d55

Hey All,

I've searched for a "how to" thread on this, but havn't seen anything. My fan spins easily by hand, and was able to stop it while running with a towel in hand.

Just wondering how simple it is to replace the clutch, and is that the only thing you need to replace?
    Any specific tools required or pretty standard?

Its an 86 diesel ranger, 4d55.

Thanks a lot. Really digging this forum
    John

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmuirhead9 View Post
    Hey All,

I've searched for a "how to" thread on this, but havn't seen anything. My fan spins easily by hand, and was able to stop it while running with a towel in hand.

Just wondering how simple it is to replace the clutch, and is that the only thing you need to replace?

John
    should be 4 bolts in the waterpump pulley, whole thing comes off, then the fan blade should have 4 bolts attaching it to the clutch

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Hey All,

John

Is that enough for you to think it is bad? The clutch is supposed to let it spin, until it heats up enough and locks.

Let me ask you a few questions: Are you having cooling issues? Is your engine overheating? When you stopped the fan with a towel, how hot was the engine? How forcefully did you jam the towel in there?

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    Great, Thanks. I'm looking at one on Rockauto thats about $40 after shipping.
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=926&jpid=0

It's asking "Do you need a radiator fan clutch wrench"?
    Anyone know if this is required for this job?

Cheers

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    Yes cooling issues. Temp gauge goes into the upper normal zone often, and I need to pump the heat to regulate it. Also noticed a small head gasket leak, put in some gasket sealer and it seemed to stop it. I know its a sketchy fix but cant afford to do it properly right now. Burped the rad, no bubbling. So now gotta stop it from getting hot so it doesnt blow that seal again.

Able to easily spin fan by hand at operating temp. Didnt take too much force to stop it while running - may not have been full operating temp.
    A couple old dog mechanics near by told me it was faulty as soon as they spun it by hand...

Thanks

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Yes cooling issues. Temp gauge goes into the upper normal zone often, and I need to pump the heat to regulate it. Also noticed a small head gasket leak, put in some gasket sealer and it seemed to stop it. I know its a sketchy fix but cant afford to do it properly right now. Burped the rad, no bubbling. So now gotta stop it from getting hot so it doesnt blow that seal again.

Able to easily spin fan by hand at operating temp. Didnt take too much force to stop it while running - may not have been full operating temp.
    A couple old dog mechanics near by told me it was faulty as soon as they spun it by hand...

Thanks
    its going to suck getting that crap back out of the block and head if you ever fix it properly. i found the hardway, dont use it unless you want to spend twice as much repairing.

on another note, it could be a cracked head not headgasket, regardless it will create additional cost

There should be some resistance to the clutch when turning by hand, it may be worn out

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    Hmm, not good to hear about your trouble cleaning the sealer out block and head...Guy at parts store didn't hesitate to say to try it. Even a mechanic said go for it. Kind of in a pinch so figured why not. The bottle sais to just leave it in there, but u think it would be wise to flush the rad?..Hope for the best.

I think I'll change the fan clutch regardless, not too expensive and seems easy enough.

Still wondering if anyone knows if that will require a fan clutch wrench. Assuming that's for a big bolt that might hold the pulley on?

Cheers

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    i already told you it was 8 bolts total...lol, so no

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The radiator leak fix stuff trades one problem for another. If you are in a bind and need to be somewhere then it is what it is. It might be also worth your time considering an electric thermo fan? There are a lot of advantages deleting the pump driven fan. They're cheap and relatively simple to install.

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    Yeah I'm now kinda choked i ran it through to be honest. I read a few good things and went for it, but upon further research it seems like it can cause more problems than its worth...Either way my head was leaking, (though no water in oil, or vise versa) now its not (maybe should have tried re-torquing head bolts) and tomorrow going to flush the cooling system to try and remove any lingering irontite sealer.

Thanks Skullzaflare, 8 bolts boom. Gonna look into the thermal fan option as well. Already seen lots of good info about it here.