Array
    Status
    Portland OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

No start after intake rebuild

Was having fuel delivery issues and decided to overhaul the intake and carburetor. I removed and cleaned the intake manifold and carburetor, replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the distributor and valve cover, and replaced a few gaskets and hoses. I also helicoiled two stripped threads. While I was at it I flushed the coolant, engine oil, and gear oil.

Put it all back together and no start. Engine turns but no combustion. I can hear/smell the fuel pump working and the distributor spins and the cap seems good. 99% sure all hoses and electrical connectors are in the correct place. I disconnected the negative battery terminal before working so I doubt I shorted the coil.

It started raining before I could check for spark, but I'll check tomorrow. Any other ideas as to why it won't start?

I appreciate all the advice thus far. Y'all have been very helpful.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check your fuel lines. If you've crossed the main fuel line and the accelerator enrichment pump line it will either get very little or no fuel. This is really easy to do and you feel like a noob for doing it but trust me, nearly everyone who've pulled fuel lines off did this the first time round.

Array
    Status
    Portland OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Pretty sure I got the fuel lines right, but right now I'm thinking that I accidentally shifted the distributor rotor and reinstalled it in the wrong orientation. How should I go about setting the correct rotor position?

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    My thought was timing...you pulled the intake manifold which the dist goes through so you had to pull the dist to get the intake off...crank and cam belt weren't disturbed right?...I'd double check the timing, remember to use the little nub cast into the head just below the top surface of the cylinder head when setting the cam...line up the marks on the dist gear and dist housing...slide it in and see what you get. good luck.

Array
    Status
    Portland OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Made sure timing was right, plugs are getting spark, and fuel lines were right. No luck with any of it. Any other suggestions?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check and recheck. These engines only need 3 things to run - fuel, spark, compression. Are you getting fuel flow from your primary fuel line out of the pump? Do your plugs look wet with unburnt fuel after attempting to start? Have you tried priming the carb with a little fuel straight down the throats or using an aerosol primer? Hell, these things will start with a blast of Lynx deodorant lol. Keep it simple - use a process of elimination and you'll nail it. Good luck