Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Suspension Popping

I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods, the adjusting sleeve, and the idler arm. The instructions on the parts said to tighten the castle nuts until I can get the cotter pin inserted. This isn't very tight at all. I was wondering if I should follow those instructions or go ahead and torque it to the proper specs. The problem is that there is a popping sound from the front when turning under light acceleration at low speeds. I'm not sure at higher speeds and it's kind of freaking me out.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi Raikinx, welcome to mightyram. If the tapered shaft isn't anchored in and seated, it's too loose. The popping is the shaft dancing around. It will destroy the shaft and oval out the locating hole. Worse case scenario is it will snap the top off the shaft. Lock it up.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ^^^ This !!!

Also Raikinx,
    Torque to spec, if the slots do not line up with the 'pin' hole at spec,
    Not to worry ! most if not all Castle Nuts have 6 slots --- 360 deg/6 = 60 deg /2 slots = 30 deg
    of additional TIGHTENING !!!
    Simply, torque to spec, & tighten further until the slots & 'pin' hole are aligned.
    P.s,
    Do not loosen to get alignment !!!

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks guys the popping stopped so it's a great relief.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Good to hear. Hopefully your joints weren't beat on too badly - you were lucky nothing came apart.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I was replacing the stripped lug studs yesterday and the ball joint boots are torn. Should I replace the ball joints. Bought it for 750 last month and the previous owner really beat this thing up.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You 'might' be able to find replacement boots but it's a long shot. If the joints themselves are still serviceable just keep them greased on a regular basis. All the dirt and junk going into them will seriously shorten their lifespan so buy a set of joints and put them aside for the day when they start clunking and your steering starts to feel tired and sloppy. Chances are the ball joints are already worn out - check the control arm bushes as well visually and with a pinch bar. Some of these poor trucks go above and beyond the call of duty

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I was going to change out the control arm bushings. I'll post some pics later of what the tie rods looked like and what the previous owner did just so he didn't have to pay for some new ones. I figure while I'm there I might as well change out the shock absorbers and the wheel bearings as well. Anything else I should have a look at while I'm down there?

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Will I need a spring compressor or is there a safe way around that. Also just so I don't have to do this for a while. Do the springs go bad, and if so how would I check that.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Spring compressors are the safe way. You've heard the tales and most of them are true. Only way to check a spring is to remove it and measure it's uncompressed height and compare it to factory specs. If the front of your truck doesn't look level, you more than likely have a tired spring. But if you're going to have spring issues it will be the rear leafs. I've been in a car where a leaf spring snapped. Not an awesome experience. I was lucky I was only travelling at low speed coming out of a street corner. If it did that over a pothole or a drain, the car would've gotten badly messed up and me with it.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Our truck springs are fairly much under pressure and you wouldn't want to have one pop on you. I had a valve spring jump out of a fork spring compressor and almost stuck in the wall.
    As for your torn boots, If there are not missing pieces of the boot, you may also try to silicone glue the rips back together to protect the joint. Those boot are dust and dirt protectors and a little grease after will be fine if your not into spending too much.
    Your springs are on a 1995 truck, I have a loop cut out my front springs and the truck is an '86 and lowered and the springs are still great. I am very surprised at how well my alignment has been for all these years and never needed an alignment. Tire wear is superb ever since I owned my truck. Check your shocks I would imagine first if your having soft front ends.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    No you don't NEED a spring compressor, a jack under the control arm to control the release is all I've ever used for my truck, and I've had my front end apart tons of times. And as long as your springs aren't cracked/rusting away(never seen a MM with broken springs) you should be fine

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    No you don't NEED a spring compressor, a jack under the control arm to control the release is all I've ever used for my truck, and I've had my front end apart tons of times. And as long as your springs aren't cracked/rusting away(never seen a MM with broken springs) you should be fine
    Cool DM, good to know about the tension on springs. I thought I read in here someone having problems with the them, but probably was the way they were releasing them that caused their issue. Thanks

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Yeah no problem, don't want to see people spending money on a loaner tool when they don't need to, a jack works perfectly fine and most people have one lol.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I have the parts but I'm having an issue with the metal cap over guide bolt on the caliper. I just cant seem to get a decent grip on it to take it off even with vice grips. Any suggestions on an easier way or just keep at it?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I got a feeling you're not meant to pull the cap off. I think you are meant to swing the caliper all the way up clear of the caliper body and disc, and then slide it off the guide. Give the slide pins a big clean, inspect for scuffing and wear, look at the grease boots for splits and if all is good - grease them up and put it back together.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

Engine

4G63-T
    Totally lost as to the metal cap you are talking about? To remove calipers all you need to do is unbolt the two 17(19mm?) head bolts holding the caliper to the spindle.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Yeah, this is the first vehicle I have seen with the bolt blocked off with a cap. They show it in the manual.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Previous owners tie rod fix. Complete moron.
    WP_20160122_11_15_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160122_11_15_26_Pro.jpg
    He told me that they needed to be replaced, not that it was unsafe to drive.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    WP_20160122_11_16_37_Pro.jpg
    Cant really see it but that top caliper bolt is the one that has the cap on it. Other side is the same. Dont worry about the tie rods. Those were the first things I replaced. I can get better pics of the cap tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I check mine with a channel lock and grip the entire joint and squeeze them together. If there is any play...they need replacing. Good thing with the '86 MM is all the ends and joints have zerk fittings or holes for a fitting. I grease them twice a year and never replaced one of them yet. Try to get replacements with those holes for greasing. Moog also has heavy duty replacement parts for our trucks. Idle and pitman arms they sell were the only ones that lasted. When I pulled our boat it would destroy the idler arm bushings and they fall out. Hasn't happen yet with the Moog's heavy duty arms.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The idler arm bushings were gone on this one but I didn't know that I could replace the bushings. I hadn't come across this forum yet either and just bought a cheap one from rock auto. The plan is to get it drivable first and then upgrade it. At least with rock auto I've already saved myself about $100 overall.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    As I mentioned earlier you don't need to take the caps off. Just remove the bottom caliper bolt, flip the caliper up like you would when replacing the pads, then push the caliper into the wheel well and slide it completely off. When cleaning the dust boots you can freshen them up by spraying them with cheap tire shine and kneading them between your fingers. It softens the rubber and makes them look like new again too. It is really important to give the slide pins a good clean up and fresh grease. It goes a long way to ensuring your calipers don't cause the pads to drag on the discs.

Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ok I'll give that a try. I noticed that I am getting pad drag on the passenger side on the outside. The outside part of the disc is more worn than the inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast