Array
    Status
    MD
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Manual adjusting lifters?

Hey guys, what Year,make and model cars should I be looking for those manual rocker arm lifters, I already have the part numbers if I wanted new but trying to refrain from buying new lifters. I just don't like the idea spending on new hydraulic lifters when they go out, having a bit of trouble finding the post who discussed about them, really appreciate the help guys thanks.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think there are differences in the rocker lift ratios when you compare mechanical flat tappets and hydraulic assemblies. You can't mix and match them. You might want to look at swapping your head for a 4G63 head.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Why would you ever want to go manual. There noisy and need adjustment all the time. Hyd will last if you keep up on the oil change. There just a better way to go all the way around unless you have some radical mods.
    The cost to replace them can't be that much.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    MD
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Didn't realize there were more noisy then the hydraulic lifters, thanks guys for the responses.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They're only noisy if they're not adjusted properly. I've never had issues with noisy mechanical lifters. And there are advantages to using them - like never having to replace them. And if you get creative with cams and valve springs, the hydraulics have limitations. There is a threshold of load where the valve spring and cam lift will override hydraulic lifters, crushing them and negating lift.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    They're only noisy if they're not adjusted properly. I've never had issues with noisy mechanical lifters. And there are advantages to using them - like never having to replace them. And if you get creative with cams and valve springs, the hydraulics have limitations. There is a threshold of load where the valve spring and cam lift will override hydraulic lifters, crushing them and negating lift.
    IMHO unless you go over board like LSR Mike there is no reason to swap from hyd to manual. 92 Hp is not big power.
    The hyd adjuster from Rockauto.com is around $10.00 each. So that makes $80 to replace them all. Guessing the engine has 175.000 mile on it and this is the first time to replace them that means the cost is $0.00045 per mile. Or he can find the bad one and just replace it.
    To do that just pull the cover and start the engine when cold. Then grab on the rocker and put pressure on them one at a time and listen for the clicking to stop. Yes it's going to make a mess and get oil all over the place. But that's how you find them.

The first gen did not have lube oil to the cam and the rockers. It used the old splash and spray. No pressure. So needless to say you can't have hyd in that type of set up. And the cam journals always looked like crap when you pulled the cam out. Big groves and pulled metal. So they finally got smart and put lube into the head.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    85 up 2.6 have hydraulic lifters - they changed the rockers and shafts to get the oil to them. Look in LSR Mike's threads for the manual rockers - I believe they are 1.8 rockers, but check to be sure. The hot mod on high lift starquests is to convert to manual rockers, or 3.0 hydraulic roller rockers, which give a 1.6 rocker ratio on a 2.6 hyd setup.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980