Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Engine cross reference

I have a 1990 mighty max with a 3.0 v6. I know the 3.0 liters in the dodge vans from the same time frame are almost the same. My block and heads are what is bad and would like to know what models of van to look for a motor. They are a lot more common and have to be cheaper than $600 for the only 3.0 liter in a mighty max that i have found. I also know there is a thread on here somewhere about this swap but i cannot find it right now for some reason. If someone could post me a link for that that would be great.

Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I am looking at a 1993 Mitsubishi Diamante with a 3.0 SOHC. All things considered according to data it is the same motor. Thoughts on this. I need to give a core back so i need to make sure i keep the parts that i am going to need.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've seen a reference to the 6G72 quad cam V6 to suit 3000GT, Stealth, Galant and Montero. So it should be completely compatible. It's going to depend on how the intake manifold is set up is configured on the Diamante engine. Is is complete or just bottom end and heads?

Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    It is complete but I have the intake from the existing motor that i could swap over if there was an issue. as long as the engine block and heads have the same bolt patterns. I have all of the parts off from the exhixting motor except the heads and pistons that are shot. It is actually rebuildable but the amount of money to do the work is quite a bit more than i have or want to spend.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    How much do they want to build the heads and short block?
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The heads are pretty rough and need new valves on three cylinders. I bought the truck with the motor partially dissassembled and the kid i bought it off "said" it was good he was just replacing gaskets. Needless to say when i started it the was "something" in at least three cylinders. IT was small like a nut or small washer but it mangled the aluminum on the heads. My machine guy gave me the look of I dont think so but i can try. The pistons in those cylinders are also nuked. The funny thing was i never put two and two together when i got the truck from him. He had tried to get the heads off but could not get the head bolts loose. There were easy out marks on the outside of a couple of bolts. I was ablt to get them off becuase i actually have tools and know what i am doing. LOL. He sold it to me knowing it was messed up. He needed ot replace the intake gaskets and someone sabotaged it or he dropped stuff in the motor because he is an idiot.

Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The motor is still rebuildable i think. AS long as i can get the head work done. The cost of the whole operation for me to do it plus the machine work would be about $600. I found this motor with verified compression and a warranty (whatever that is worth) for $199. I paid $300 for the truck. I am not wanting to spend a bunch of money on it just want to get it going. It is not a "pretty" truck by no means. I just need a good little hunting and hobby rig for cheap to keep the wife off my tail.

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    the diamante motor should bolt up no problem,the oil pan might be different because of the 4wd also it will have a higher compression ratio 10 to 1 vs 9 to 1 and better duration camshaft,

Array
    Status
    SilverLake Washington
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Thank you

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    It is complete but I have the intake from the existing motor that i could swap over if there was an issue. as long as the engine block and heads have the same bolt patterns. I have all of the parts off from the exhixting motor except the heads and pistons that are shot. It is actually rebuildable but the amount of money to do the work is quite a bit more than i have or want to spend.
    Keep your lower and upper intake as they will put your TP in the correct location in your engine bay. Typically the lower intakes runners are a rounded off square shape, but not all are the same. Some are oval/circular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahtid View Post
    the diamante motor should bolt up no problem,the oil pan might be different because of the 4wd also it will have a higher compression ratio 10 to 1 vs 9 to 1 and better duration camshaft,
    Yes keep your oil pan and pickup as their hump is in the middle. Diamante would put your hump right on top of the front axle. I would be cautious of the diamante motor if you can get its ECU as well and plug it into your harness. At the least your fuel and timing trims will be off. Possibly the injectors are of a different size and latency too. A SOHC Stealth/3000gt, Montero motor of the same time frame would be a better fit as the CR is the same along with the cams.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Good reference site for the 6G72

http://www.stealth316.com/1-tech.htm