Thread: any suggestions on installing a hydraulic e-brake?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B

any suggestions on installing a hydraulic e-brake?

^what the title says. I'm considering ditching the 'chinese laundry' (drop it off at 9 and you'll get it by 5...) parking brake set up on my gen 1. I've looked at deleting the forward cable set up and mounting a cable operated floor lever but it's beginning to look like it will be easier to install a hydraulic hand brake lever assembly (and a heap cheaper too) but there are a couple of different methods to achieve it. Do I -

#1 try to kill myself/someone else/destroy my truck by deleting the rear brake line and have it running off a single circuit to the rears only? (I threw this one in purely for entertainment value as I have actually seen a couple of idiots who clearly have lost the will to live and/or have no idea or business going anywhere near a car perform this install - like this ass clown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5mJMgEYsgM )

#2 run the hydraulic lever in series with the rear brake line? (line from the master cylinder rear into the reservoir port on the hydro lever, then connect the rearward section of the rear brake line to the actuator port)

#3 hook the hydro e-brake up with a self contained reservoir and then bridge it into the rear brake line with a T piece?

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Merge the two rear lines into a single, then run it through the brake into the rear.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrill View Post
    Merge the two rear lines into a single, then run it through the brake into the rear.
    Thanks for the advice Merrill
    O.k. so if I'm understanding you, cut into the rear brake circuit main line from the brake master cylinder, connect the line from the BMC to the reservoir port on the hydro e-brake and then hook the pressurised outlet on the e-brake to the remaining rear brake line (option #2 on my list)? I was concerned it would create some sort of hydraulic feed back situation between the e-brake and the brake master cylinder, making the pedal do weird things like go spongy or cause excessive pedal travel .The gen 1 has a single rear brake line that is split via a junction on the rear axle so tapping into it 'should' be a no brainer. I want to do a full system upgrade so I'll throw the e-brake into the mix while the BMC, hoses, lines and front assemblies get swapped up.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you insist on a hydraulic line lock just get one of these http://www.polyperformance.com/Jamar...ulic-Line-Lock
    Then cut and insert it between eater the front or rear brakes off of the master cylinder. Just keep in mind they can fail because of a leek.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by camoit View Post
    If you insist on a hydraulic line lock just get one of these http://www.polyperformance.com/Jamar...ulic-Line-Lock
    Then cut and insert it between eater the front or rear brakes off of the master cylinder. Just keep in mind they can fail because of a leek.
    Hydraulic e-brake can do the same thing. So now I have another option but I think I'll still go with the lever assembly. Thanks camoit

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    My Jamar line lock only lasted a month before it didn't hold anymore. It was a little disappointing, but rebuilding it was easy.

As far as my installation went, had 2 lines leading to the rear which I merged to a single under the cab. Then ran the single up through the cab, through an adjustable proportioning valve, the hydraulic BMC, the line lock, then out to the rear. I did have a Ford rear which only uses a single, so if you have the load valve on the back before the axle, you'll need to bypass or plug one inlet so you can run a single line.

Just to clear up a couple things (probably just a difference in terms) - The only systems that use a reservoir are the ones that utilize the hydraulic hand brake as a stand alone system. You cant tap into your existing brake system if your hand brake has a reservoir. This post has a few pics of the install and brake I used. The inlet was at the proportioning valve which went to the rearmost port of the hydrailic master cylinder (which would technically be a reservoir/inlet port) http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post30098

I only bring this up for clarification because I have see a few people purchase the wrong hydraulic brake (one with a reservoir) and try to tap it into the system in series.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the advice again Merrill. I had a feeling I wasn't going to need a reservoir on the hydro brake. Time to scrounge some cash and hit ebay...

Array
    Status
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    My hydraulic hand brake assembly is currently for sale and I have no problems shipping internationally. It usually takes about 7 days to get there and I think it's about $75 USD for post.