Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

shift linkage? how to troubleshoot/replace

hi folks,

friend was driving our 1996 mighty max manual, and "suddenly" had trouble getting into / out of gear, then shortly had zero response from stick. ie. the stick moves in any direction, no sign of going into / out of gear.

my thought is that there's a shift linkage and it's completely disconnected. make sense?

how do i access it? on some cars i know it can be super-easy -- there's even videos of people reattaching them by side of the road, but i think since this is rear-wheel drive the connection may be more internal to the transmission.

fwiw, the clutch cable went out a year ago. there's 225k miles on it, pretty sure transmission is original.

thanks!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This is not an uncommon issue - the shifter bush has given up and/or the mounting bolts holding the shifter assembly have come out. Both are easy fixes. The shifter bush is a nylon cup that clips onto the bottom of the gear lever and sits in the selector rod input. They split and disappear into the nether regions of the extension housing. Other issue is with the bolts holding the assembly coming out. If they've simply come loose - no problem. If the threads are chewed you'll have to use the usual methods to rectify it. Drill and tap or longer mounting bolts.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    This is not an uncommon issue - the shifter bush has given up and/or the mounting bolts holding the shifter assembly have come out. Both are easy fixes. The shifter bush is a nylon cup that clips onto the bottom of the gear lever and sits in the selector rod input. They split and disappear into the nether regions of the extension housing. Other issue is with the bolts holding the assembly coming out. If they've simply come loose - no problem. If the threads are chewed you'll have to use the usual methods to rectify it. Drill and tap or longer mounting bolts.
    yup! screws came loose. unfortunately, one of them broke off inside -- i've got it held down by 2 for now, but will have to drill that one out. thanks geezer!

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You're welcome. Happy shifting brush! (and buy a replacement gear shifter bush - you will eventually need it...)

Array
    Status
    Portland OR
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I assume that this issue can creep up slowly as well? I have a heck of a time shifting into reverse sometimes and downshifting can be tricky too. Likely a similar diagnosis?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pinspanner View Post
    I assume that this issue can creep up slowly as well? I have a heck of a time shifting into reverse sometimes and downshifting can be tricky too. Likely a similar diagnosis?
    Pull the console and shifter boots out of the way and have a look at the shifter assembly. You'll see if the bolts are loose straight away.