Thread: Brake Problems

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50

Brake Problems

ok, so i left school today and my brakes were squeking, so i took wheel off, pads are worn out, so i go to parts store and get some and attempt to put them on......took bottom bolt out of caliper(the slide pins that hold it to the bracket) then comes the top bolt, it doesnt have a head on it or a plug or anything in it, i know it has to come off, its froze up so i cant slide caliper to put new pads on, any help on how to get caliper off? also would it be smart to just replace caliper and hardware or to just grease everything and clean up hardware? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    get a can of PB blaster....its a rust penetrating fluid. Spray it down real good and try to move it around. Some heat from a small torch might help as well but youd might end up burning the rubber sleeve.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    you don't need to take off the slider bolts you can take off the caliper bracket that bolts to the spindle to change the pads, they're the two 17mm bolts.

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    The whole purpose of the slide pins is to slide. They need to move back and forth freely. The caliper piston pushes on the inner pad, then the caliper slides and the outer pad contacts the rotor.

Array
    Status
    Greenville, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    i finally got both sides off today, both sides were froze up, the pins wouldnt budge, i tried pb blaster, didnt help any, so i ordered two new calipers, they were the original calipers on there and i have sunk the truck in mud on more than on occassion, so i guess it was about time, thanks for all the help guys, maybe this will help with me having a low brake pedal and maybe i can stop from 55mph within a mile now, lol

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    One trick to use. Remove the brake light fuse and depress the brake pedal 1 inch. This will keep the master cylinder full when you swap out the calipers. This will save you time in bleeding. You will only need to bleed the fronts, unless you open the rears.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com