Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

1984 Diesel Indicator Question

Hello I think I may have a glitch in the glow system of my 1984 ram 50 diesel. When starting, in what order should the lights on the diesel indicator come on? What does each light mean? Thanks

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    well only matters if you have an 83. The 84 trucks and 85 only have a water in fuel sensor and fuel heater. It has a quick glow system. If it takes longer than 5 seconds to warm than something is not working correct. The 83 trucks had a glow light on the left side of the indicator and the red would come one 2-3 seconds followed by green till about 20-30 seconds after engine was running.

Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    That makes a lot more sense haha. Would it be worth while to install a manual switch for the plugs?

Array
    Status
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Depends if you are in really cold weather or not. And if you do make sure it is a push button as after 8 seconds of 12v you will melt the plugs. Should only take a few seconds of glow to start or you have other issues. If you are in a really cold area I would fix the original system as the dropping resistor method keeps 3-4 volts too plugs till about 30 seconds to a min after she starts to help smoothen out idle. Plus the original system has a fuel heater on the filter housing. Also if you do go with a button just disconnect the wiring as opposed to hacking it up so if the next owner wants to fix it he can! I stay away from trucks with a hacked up harness