Thread: Need helping with Head/head bolt...

Array
    Status
    Cleveland,nc
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Need helping with Head/head bolt...

I am working on a 1995 Mighty Max a friend of mine bought it needing a Head gasket repair so .... I took it on, Funny thing is , after taking Valve cover off the head has the Jet Valves in it ... .what gives ?? well long story short, this head is thicker then the original (1995) head!! Purchased New head bolts for 95 and they are too short!! I can't seem to locate the bolts i need & I dont know what to ask for (or search) for the right one's because I have NO IDEA what vehicle he head came off of!, so PLEASE HELP !! IF I cant figure it out , I am thinking about getting grade 8 bolts and trying that
    attached is a pic of the bolt that I am needing .. it measure over 4.5 inches long and the 1995 is like 3.7 inches

IMG_0102.JPG

Thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to the site. There is a simple reason why you can't find replacement head bolts for your friends' engine - there is no demand for them as they are reusable. You'll be fine reinstalling the originals.

Array
    Status
    Cleveland,nc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    thanks for the reply geezer... however , One of the bolts broke & I had to drill it out then of course the easy out had to break and had to drill it out.... So needless to say this HG repair has been a PITA !!! So that's why I am needing extra head bolts for the truck. and I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the 2.4's may know what would fit this head or maybe someone may have some extra bolts I could purchase ?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Damn, that's not good. I had a similar problem but instead of the bolt snapping off, the hex key socket was chewed out. Not what you want to run into when pulling a cylinder head...Don't know what relevance this might have with the cylinder head bolts but do you know if the engine is a 6 or 7 bolt bottom end? You will fix the head bolt issue by going to ARP studs but these suckers are $$$.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I have a G63B dodge and when I replaced my head I got them from a Mazda dealer. He had to look for them for 20 minutes or so them order them. I brought in one of my existing bolts. I had no idea they were re-usable.

Array
    Status
    Cleveland,nc
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks everyone for the response's
    I just wanted to give an update on what I ended up doing maybe it'll help someone else...
    I talked to the machine shop that I take my stuff to and have dealt with for YEARS and they are reputable ..
    the owner told me "GOOD LUCK" fining them ( he was serious) so I asked him what they'd do if it was in their shop? He said we'd to go a specialty store for fasteners and bolts and get grade 8 bolts and use them. he's stated they've done it lots of times! So took it to the local place and they said it was 7/16 X 5 X 20 or 11mm X 127mm X20 so I order 10 of them!! I did run a tap down the holes to clean up the threads. However we got to talking and somehow i ended up getting a smaller bolt!! so YET again something went wrong on this headache!!! oh well

Now I have yet another question.....
    Since we don't know what the head came off of....
    Which torque specs and sequence should I use???
    DO I use the one for the 95 OR ....am I back to square one ,trying to find out what vehicle the head came off of ??