Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

HELP!!!!

Ever since I bought my 84 ram 50 turbo diesel it smokes horrendously and idles rough. The power is inconsistent as well. I checked the compression at the glow plugs and it was good. However I noticed oil coming out in the fuel. I checked the turbo and it is fine. The truck is not burning antifreeze and the oil level doesn't seem to go down. What could cause this? Could it be valve seals?

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Ever since I bought my 84 ram 50 turbo diesel it smokes horrendously
    Nicotine patches might work, or maybe some nicotine gum. As a smoker, myself, I know how hard it is to cut down.

I'm no expert at ALL on the diesel engines, but the description you give sure sounds like valve seals. Let's see what others...who know what they're talking about...have to say about the issue.

Unless the seals are really shot, the smoking should only be during warm up.
    Last edited by royster; 01-28-2016 at 06:23 PM.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I'd suggest removing either the vacuum line from the turbo to the injection pump, or the rubber intake coupler between the turbo and intake manifold and taking a look inside. With my truck the turbo had started leaking oil and it was obvious once I looked in the vacuum line to the injection pump. It was also obvious looking in the intake after I removed the turbo, plenty of oil residue in both.
    I also discovered I had a leaky injection pump, so it's hard to say for sure what was the exact culprit since I fixed both at the same time. Since you've already compression tested the engine I'd suggest looking at the turbo next. Make sure it spins freely, doesn't have any shaft play, and isn't puking oil into the intake and/or the injection pump.

Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I disconnected the turbo from the intake and started the engine. It still ran the same with smoke and rough idling. Turbo works fine.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Turbo rear seal can cause smoking too, regardless if the charge is hooked up
    Is the smoke immediately after starting? or take a few minutes?
    Turbo rear seal will take a few minutes
    If immediate, i would suspect bad fuel, a cylinder not lighting, coolant in cylinder, or injection pump timing

Now, what do you mean "noticed oil coming out of the fuel" ? Like engine oil out of the fuel line?? Someone may have tried to make it run on used oil like a old detroit, it will smoke from that lol

Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is it true that there is oil around where the glow plugs go?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaque View Post
    all 4 of my plugs came out completely dry

Array
    Status
    los angeles
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaque View Post
    Not that I recall... unless it is leaking in from the valve guides down and around the valve, and into the chamber.

The cylinders are lubricated from oil squirters aimed at the bottom of the pistons. If you are getting significant oil in the combustion chamber, then I would guess it either comes from the valve guides or from the intake. Another possibility could be it is seeping in from the head/block junction, but that would mean you wouldn't have any compression. I don't know enough about this kind of thing, sorry.