Array
    Status
    New England
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Please Select Your Engine Type

Winter Beater! 1992 Dodge Power Ram 50 Auto/4x4

Hey all, I'm looking for a cheap project car/winter beater to tinker with, so I found this red power ram with a "for sale" sign on it the other day while out running errands.

The frame looked okay, and interior is near perfect with the exception of some cracking on the vinyl on the drivers side from all the getting in/out over the years.

The guy selling it couldn't pass emissions, and the engine stumbled a bit, even though it had a fresh timing belt done (106k miles on it)... Had it home on a flatbed for $300 even!

Tore into it to and noticed the distributor cap had a crack in it, so I got a new one for it, along with wires/plugs. Also reset the timing (with proper grounding) and it smoothed up pretty well! Drove it around the block a few times and the auto trans shifts nice and smooth. Everything seems very functional!

Found the original dealer window sticker in it too! Just shy of $14k in 92.

Most important thing now is TIRES! They were very underinflated when I brought the car home, and they looked cracked like dried mud... I'm not planning anymore driving on these. What's a good tire for these 15" rims?

A quick pic! Resoldered a bit on the front-right blinker to get it working again.

Array
    Status
    New England
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

Don't know how to edit, but the cracking I mentioned was on the driver's side vinyl on the seat cushion!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi project_car, welcome to mightyram. $300 and in the driveway? It's a steal! The bed canopy alone would be worth that. The truck overall looks pretty solid too (a bit of rust in the lower drivers fender?). Let us know how it goes when you book it in for emissions. p.s. no edit function unless you become a donator to the site - then you acquire SUPERPOWERS! (not really but you can activate other functions lol)

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    To enable post editing and posting parts for sale, you need to be a donator. A small donation will open those benefits for you and give you a donator banner below your name, right Geezer? lol

Fantastic deal on the truck as well project dood. 100k isn't nothing with these trucks. they can last for 300k quite easily if maintained.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    :facepalm: subtle hint there Brad? I already have superpowers - I have the ability to state the obvious! lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    ...a small donation will open those benefits for you and give you a donator banner below your name, right Geezer? lol
    I had cash before xmas but my DD was in need of new feet (2 multi directional racing slicks, one down to the belts and a 4th hand tyre that was out of round + the front brake rotors were warped and pads were postcard thin) $700+ later - 5 new 205/50 16" feet for my stupidly cheap alloy wheels, 2 cross drilled and slotted discs and ceramic composite pads and pfft, cash gone.
    Don't worry, it's on my endless 'to do' list. And back to the thread!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I had cash before xmas but my DD was in need of new feet (2 multi directional racing slicks, one down to the belts and a 4th hand tyre that was out of round + the front brake rotors were warped and pads were postcard thin) $700+ later - 5 new 205/50 16" feet for my stupidly cheap alloy wheels, 2 cross drilled and slotted discs and ceramic composite pads and pfft, cash gone.
    Don't worry, it's on my endless 'to do' list. And back to the thread!
    No problem Geezer, just playing. I know money is tight with the kids and all. I hear in Ethiopia they tie their kids up and throw them in the river.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by project_car View Post

Most important thing now is TIRES! They were very under-inflated when I brought the car home, and they looked cracked like dried mud... I'm not planning anymore driving on these. What's a good tire for these 15" rims?
    I love BFG Radial T/A's. They pull through rain like its not even there, Try TireRack.com http://www.tirerack.com/content/tire.../homepage.html

Sometimes you can also get a high silicone spray and bring rubber back from the dead pretty well. If the tires are not to bad, you may try spraying them.

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Nice find and at an excellent price. You got the best version of these trucks. What are your long term goals for her?

Array
    Status
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    nice find! Anytime you can find a running vehicle with a title for that price you can't go wrong. Even if you happen to blow your engine or transmisson sometime down the road you could still part it out for more than you bought it for. Not to mention it's a pretty nice truck for it's age. Welcome to the site.

Array
    Status
    New England
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

No real plans for her, per se. It'll just be a fun backup/emergency/dump truck/hauling car The fuel it had in it was probably pretty old considering the car was sitting for quite a while. New fuel and she's running quite well. Puts out great heat (finally below freezing here today), and doesn't overheat. All 4 gears work and change well.

Now that I've spent more time with it I've noticed that:

1. There parking break light doesn't go away. So much so, that the previous owner put a "smiley face" sticker on the instrument cluster to block out the light -- haha.

2. I'm leaking from the TOP of the rear diff housing. The left side of the rear diff was damp after about and hour's worth of driving. I'm not sure if it's a tiny pin-hole in the diff housing, or seeping from the bolt. It was too dark and late last nigh to have time to take a closer look.I'll have to do some cleaning and investigate!