Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Fact or Fiction?

I have read on multiple forums someone claim that the 1983 Dodge Ram 50 turbo diesel 2wd was the fastest pickup of it's year in the U.S. out of the other manufacturers. Is this true? And if it is what info is there to back it up?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaque View Post
    I have read on multiple forums someone claim that the 1983 Dodge Ram 50 turbo diesel 2wd was the fastest pickup of it's year in the U.S. out of the other manufacturers. Is this true? And if it is what info is there to back it up?
    This wouldn't surprise me. Mitsubishi were generous on their earlier model turbo vehicles but then they down graded their factory turbos a little (my bet would be from warranty claims due to new owners never having experience with turbo charged engines and killing them). An example of this were FWD Cordia turbos. Early leaded turbos were bigger and had more power on tap than later models.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The 83 TD had no wastegate to limit boost, so that may be true. I drove an 83 td new and other than the smoke, it ran real strong.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Back when I was teaching school I'd race some of my students cause they thought Wallace was just a hunk of junk. I removed the waste gate on my turbo and it made the turbo a heck of a lot louder when downshifting. Nice growl when shifting from second to third if I really romp on it! It also increased my power a good chunk. I made a cheesy video of me racing a kid in his chevy truck that he was so proud of. I'll have to dig it up and post it on here.

Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Is Wallace 2wd? I'd like to see a picture of him

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I was too lazy to run down the photos again on a computer so I sent you the links Zaque that have discussed Wallace so far. I'm still driving the blue truck but once I'm finished with my Master's, I'm planning to start the swap. Wallace will be the major organ donor. Just got back from visiting family last night so I will find that cheesy racing video this week and get it posted.
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...55-Restoration
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-Great-Dilemma!

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Cheesy video time! The first race we were waiting for the kid at the finish to wave his arm to start us. It took him a while to catch the hint. My wife was recording and was obviously distracted with us trying to get an unbiased start. So if you get sick, I apologize in advance. Don't judge me... I was teaching high school students at the time. Loved it! There's Wallace in all his glory!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF0Hbcrp3JI
    So there you have it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaque View Post
    1983 Dodge Ram 50 turbo diesel 2wd was the fastest pickup of it's year in the U.S. out of the other manufacturers. Is this true? And if it is what info is there to back it up?
    fastest pickup named Wallace.