Array
    Status
    Nunn, Colorado
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Transmission Question

Is the g54b 5 speed manual tranny the same as the 4d55t 5 speed tranny? Are they interchangeable?

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    As long as its the wide block 2.6, it will interchange.

Array
    Status
    Meridian, Idaho
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The only thing you need to look for in order for it to be a bolt on interchange is the clutch slave. Cable vs Hydrolic driven. I have both on my shop floor right now and it would appear to have the same bolt pattern for the front pump assembly... so could be converted at first glance... yet I've not tried it yet.

Array
    Status
    Prunetucky, CA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    The transmission bellhousing/case is different for the diesel and the gas because of the hydraulic clutch vs cable clutch. Swapping either way is a pain but it is probably easier to go from hydraulic to the cable clutch than the other way as you need specific diesel only hydraulic clutch parts which are hard to find esp. the pedal and bracket. All of the cable clutch parts are fairly common and work well if correctly installed and maintained. Nonetheless, I would stick with the original clutch system and keep looking for the correct part as I've seen several of these messed up badly by a hack conversion that never ends up working right, usually diesels that can't find a part or used trans.

To make it even more confusing there are also differences among the gasoline transmissions 2.0 vs. 2.6 which have different cable clutch parts that aren't compatible but look almost identical.