Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Quick Speaker Question (or two)

I was wondering if anyone knew what size the dash speakers are in a second gen. Ram 50/Mighty Max, oh, say, a '92 model? I don't remember ever having the covers off, and I don't want to risk breaking anything unless I'm actually gonna replace the speakers, so if anyone knows, and is willing to share, I'd really appreciate any help.

Also, what would be the best way to go about removing the speaker covers, without damaging anything?

One more question, and I'll leave you alone. Any idea on the size of the speakers located on the same panel the seatbelts are mounted to? I know it would real easy to just remove those covers and look, but if someone knew, offhand, then that would be great. Yeah, I'm kinda lazy. Blame the heat - I do.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Dash speakers are 4". You will need to remove two mounting tabs to mount the new speakers. Covers just have to be pried up gently, some come off easy some are a beach. The clips holding each cover are located closest to you at the two corners of each cover.

Not sure what size speakers come stock in the seat belt pillar because none of my trucks have ever had them, but I have 6 1/2" in there now.

Array
    Status
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    The dash covers are a total pita to get off sometimes. Best way i've found is to take a long flat screw driver and stick it in under the grill from the outside near the front of the grill. Make sure its long enough to go all the way across the grill, then push down on the screw driver hence pushing up on the grill. They are metal so you probably wont break it, but you may bend them up a little.

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the information. Maybe I'll get a chance Sunday to see what size the pillar speakers are. Whenever I do, I'll post it here, in case someone else wants to know, for their truck, in the future.

Array
    Status
    Bolivar, TN
    Vehicle

1992 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    I got a look at the pillar speakers yesterday. They are 6" speakers mounted on plates, which are bolted to the pillars. The surrounds on the speakers have come loose, and they could be glued back down, if I were so inclined. Besides that, they look fine, except they can't handle the watts coming my head unit.

They'll continue to work for right now, but I'd like to replace all the factory speakers, to better accompany the 2 8's I have in there now (which will soon be replaced with 2 10's, plus a slightly bigger amp).
    Last edited by Stunner; 08-23-2011 at 06:04 PM.