Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

2.4L sohc turbo potential

Been lurking for a year, here and other MM/D50 forum and it was strange to see very few turbo charged 2.4s
    I have experience with the non u.s. starion 2.0L sohc, and seeing how they can rip when modified..... why not a 2.4L ?
    More displacement and oem multipoint, whereas the starion is throttle body injected(needs converting if MPI)

One aussie starion member answered that question
    Turbocharged a pretty much 'stock' 2.4L sohc. He shaved a bit off the oem pistons(seen this practice in several aussie builds)
    Had a cam ground. Bigger plenum on stock intake. Standalone tuned. Made a turbo header
    Dynod 350 hp at the wheels, ~380 ft-lbs tq @ only 15psi
    Very strong performer for such a simple recipee. No point going dohc for him. I'll see how close I get with my 2.4

I purchased my D50 solely for the 2.4 powerplant. A measley $150 runs perfect, but truck has issues
    Since I do my own mechanic and bodywork, I'll save the truck
    I'll swap in a spare 2.0L starion motor, with the usual upgrades. Static drop on 17s, etc the sell it
    2.4 goes into my corolla then boost

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Good luck...Biggest issue is that there is no aftemarket for the 2.4 SOHC. everything is one off, or has to be adapted from the Talon/Eclipse 2.0 Market, hence the popularity of the DOHC Conversion.

The IMHO biggest issue is the Fuel Injection. I used a AEM Eclipse/Talon unit. had to use the Eclipse Throttlebody and convert to dual coil ignition eliminating the distributor cap and moving to speed density from the MAF for airflow..
    Then there is the issue of all the stuff you break downstream...Clutch, tranny..etc...

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    read your site way back. Great stuff. Truck is way cool!

gonna break stuff downstream, wheather sohc or dohc
    Depends on how the power is used. Some 2.6 starion clubmember boxes "live" behind 400+ ft-lbs tq... treated nicely tho
    Corolla is 600 pounds lighter, so that's an advantage in my case

Don't really 'need' an aftermarket as such. 2.4 turbo recipee mentioned above is quite simple. Lotta power for street
    Fab a weld-el header. Cut off truck plenum and add a bigger one, with front facing throttle body.
    Cam & spring shouldn't be too hard. There is always the aussie guys as a last resort, as they have a wealth of info on these sohc
    Quality control on their performance turbo grind cams better than our 2.6 usa offerings, from my observations.
    We have a starion clubmember megasquirt guru that can get u up and running, rather quickly at a reasonable cost
    Some squirted 2.6s even use the 2.4 distributor (with spacer)

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    typical 2.0L starions used modified fwd hyundai sonata intake manifolds for their multiport conversions
    this very quick 2.4L starion retained his converted intake

this beast grafted a plenum onto the stock truck intake manifold. Dyno'd an impressive340hp at the wheels @ only 16psi

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    we also have that intake on 91-92 galant and expo,i have one modified,waiting on some more parts before installing it permanently

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    your manifold looks like yet another oem MPI option.
    It don't appear as if you needed to modify the water outlet/thermostat housing location at all. Perfect?
    The sonata intake coolant runs from the back of the cyl head to the radiator top tank

Array
    Status
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    The factory intake manifold is a 2 piece design, i have the lower intake manifold from the truck and upper plenum from the galant

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    ok, gotcha

Array
    Status
    Morgan City, La
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    [QUOTE=Rahtid;45715]we also have that intake on 91-92 galant and expo,i have one modified,waiting on some more parts before installing it permanently

/QUOTE]

Can you give me some more info on this.. I want to build one just like it!!

Array
    Status
    Morgan City, La
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Never mind, I found it..

I got one off a 92 galant and one from a 92 expo form car-part they are shipping them to me today..

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6268.jpg