Status
    MI
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

85 diesel Mighty Max

I just wanted to say hello.
    I too had a need to have a tiny 4wd pickup and decided a mid eighties diesel was the smart option. Found one in Portland that the engine was apparently "recently rebuilt", so I flew out, and test drove it... while I wasn't quite a fit as I had hoped, I went for it and drove it back to Michigan. It was a great trip and aside from consuming a lot of oil (qt a fill up), spraying a ton or coolant out of the radiator cap, and a non existent idler arm bushing, it did pretty well and was surprisingly comfortable for two... I was wishing for cruise around the middle of Nebraska. When I got home and 30 feet from a hoist, it got stuck in gear (... so it launched me into the trans. I was lucky it made it the whole way before it popped and only cost me time and few knuckles... plus, I now know a lot more about the drive train... speaking of that, this site is amazing. such a wealth of knowledge.
    So here's that bull dog coming out of Teton pass...
    IMAG1509.jpg

So hello and thanks for the manuals, knowledge transfer, and commiseration (for lack of a better word).
    Ben

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I like the looks of the grill and headlight setup on that truck. I like the single head light more than the double. Wish I'd known you were passing through I could have offered you a nightcap while you were wishing you had cruise in Nebraska. Would have liked to compare pickups and shoot the breeze a little about the diesel models. Glad you made it none the less. What kind of mileage did you get on the journey?

Array
    Status
    MI
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Ha! No offense intended to you fine Nebraskans, but 80 is a killer with no cruise and 5 inches of wheel slop! I got about 29MPG after the mountains. I have to admit, the grill is growing on me. I originally liked the double, but there was just something about keeping the Mitsubishi a Mitsubishi!