Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

New to the site 89 ram 50

Hey everyone im new to the site bought my first vehicle in june 2015 a 89 ram 50 with a 2.6l G54B engine love it a bit rough but its been reliable rig just got a new intake gasket today its been needing one if anyone has tips on getting the intake off without a ton of work that would be awesome i know my way around a motor so it shouldn't be hard just looking for tips maybe the stock carb adjustments since the previous owner messed it up
    11250143_860020214035055_6238446395739136999_n.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi BTBM007, welcome to mightyram. So not only is this your first post but also the first vehicle you've owned? The G54B is a fairly straight forward engine to work on. My advice is to give it the cleaning of a lifetime before taking a wrench to it (working on a filthy engine is not fun at all...). Next is to drain some of the coolant so it doesn't just dump down the side of the block and into the inlet ports. Then mark EVERYTHING with tape so you know where it goes when reassembling it (write on the tape or number each hose and put a corresponding label on where it was disconnected from - hell, take pictures as well!). The vacuum hoses can catch you out and will cause no end of grief if you don't know where they were connected to, and mixing up fuel lines will prevent the engine from running. After that it's a no brainer. As for adjusting the carb you'll find the Mikuni is tricky to get right. If the auto choke is junk or the secondary vacuum actuator on the carb is not functioning you won't have much luck in setting the idle and stop screws so I hope it's serviceable (I seem to warn everyone about this stuff lol).

Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Thanks for the advise i did a very indepth cleaning of the motor and engine bay after purchasing the truck i got it for a steal of a deal since the previous owner thought it had a bad oil leak took me 5 minutes of looking around to find out the oil cap tabs had bent and were letting oil spill out over the block the second thing was a oil change since the previous owner had not done one in over 3 YEARS!!!!!! But luckily the oil that came oil that came out didnt have metal shavings in it i also flushed the antifreze since i figured it probably had not been changed either the next thing after replacing the gasket is a new clutch since the current one is definatly done Then ont

Array
    Status
    Burlington
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I also have to remove the cat since it is plugged up luckly it is not required in my area then i need to decide what to put on it to make it stop sounding like a angry bumble bee lol