Thread: new guy needing advice

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max

new guy needing advice

So I got a 92 max I'm planing on parking for the winter. Got body work planed and a complete stock motor rebuild. Any easy ideas for some decent performance upgrades? Kinda gotta b cosy efficient cause I'm puting myself through school and can only find a part time job. Any ideas or anything Im all ears, thanks guys

Array
    Status
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B-T
    Is it a 2.0 or 2.4? Either way there arent a lot of cheap $& easy bolt on parts for performance. If I were you I would concentrate on making sure the 20 year old truck parts are not worn slap out. Chances are the suspension parts are well worn. Replacing worn parts now will help you avoid wasting money on ate up tires from bad wheel alignment. Take a good look at the brakes and brake hoses as well.

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

Its a 2.4. But yeah I've replaced shocks all brakes and rotors new lines new clutch and anything that I thought was worn or wearing down and now its just time to knock the motor out. I was hoping there was an after market part or parts I could maybe pop in or on while the motor is broke down in the garage. I mean any ideas at all short of a new head etc etc

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Not much to do on those engines unless you want to start doing dohc head swaps or custom turbo swaps. There are no headers being made for that engine anymore unless you can find one used somewhere. Make your own cold air intake setup and throw on an electric fan instead if the stock clutch fan

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

Electric fan definitely in the work and cold air already made. I don't know much bout swaps but would it be a hard head swap? What all would I need as far as parts from a 4g63? And a difficulty level if anyone is reading this and can offer advice. Its to my knowledge that a 4g63 head bolts right up to a 4g64 block?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Not too difficult but there is a bit of work involved in the swap. Need complete head, intake mani, ecu, wiring harness for head, timing components from 4g63, and more. If you really want to research it I suggest reading up on projectzerog.com as there is tons of info on the site and in the forums.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I just sold and sent a 2.4 header to blindeyed so he can have it reproduced - be patient and he will have numbers when his header guy crunches the numbers.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Martinsville, VA
    Vehicle

Ill keep my eyes open for those parts. But one more question if I swap heads and roll non Turbo would it be significant power gains over the head I got now? Or will it just open up another avenue of aftermarket gear

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you swap heads you will have to go custom for everything on the motor,as its not supported in the aftermarket. Read some of the threads on the 4g63 swaps in the hotrodcoffeeshop.com site - as many of those that have been done, its still a custom build.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980