Array
    Status
    NC
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Worn flywheel?

Investigating a starting issue I've had since I bought the truck. Engine does not always crank (3/5 times probably) and the starter motor makes the usual noise and a very unpleasant sound in addition. My thought was the flywheel is not being properly engaged and metal is clashing.

I suspected the starter and solenoid and removed them after doing a basic voltage check (no voltage drop test which I should have done...) and was getting 12.4x volts at the starter so I thought 'good enough'.

Once off the vehicle tested with jumper cables and saw the gear was extending fully and spinning quickly. As far as I know - good result.

Wired the starter back to the vehicle and took the footage below. Even when attached to the vehicle the starter gear seems to engage properly. Not easy to see in the video but only the outermost end of the gear is worn along the face of the gear.

This makes me suspect a worn flywheel which I provided a small video of as well. I can definitely see some wear but in my opinion there should be enough teeth there for the starter gear to engage as long as it's fully extending.

My eye is not good enough to say if the flywheel is too badly worn (or starter gear for that matter) or not. I definitely see indications of wear but I imagine there's plenty of life left in the flywheel - but who knows.

partial flywheel inspection: http://1drv.ms/1QtJt1G
    starter being engaged with key in ignition: http://1drv.ms/1QtJu5Q (ff 30 seconds)

Starter, solenoid, flywheel? Could it be that the simple fact of removing the starter from the vehicle in the first place dislodged something and now it's working just fine? Maybe it's still a voltage drop issue... Looking forward to your thoughts!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Voltage is only part of the picture - the one that makes all the difference is the amperage. If you are low on current the starter motor will struggle. So do the checks - starter motor and solenoid, ground leads, starter wire connection and main power lead to the starter motor. One by itself may not be enough to cause a starter fault but a combination of problems definitely will. The starter motor solenoids can get gummed up as well. I also read on another members' thread recently about the bearings in the starter becoming so worn the armature no longer lined up in its housing correctly, resulting in poor engagement.