Array
    Status
    big rapids mi.
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Ok need some advice on the engine performance

Hi all, I have a 85 ram 50 with the 2.0L and need some advice on the way it's running. When I start the engine it starts up immediately without hesitation and runs very well but as it warms up it starts too miss a little and run a little rough. I enclosed some pics of the black spots the exhaust is leaving on the floor. Also there is a rotten egg smell that is pretty strong. IMG_0901.jpgIMG_0902.jpgIMG_0901.jpgIMG_0902.jpg

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Rotten egg smell = dead catalytic converter. If you're getting an exhaust system cave painting, part of that is water vapour which is normally a good thing. Check your spark plugs to see what condition they're in. If they look carbon'd up it's running rich (black and dry). If they look black and wet you're got an oil fouling problem. Running rich can be caused mainly by 2 situations - fuel delivery (air/fuel mix not adjusted properly) or an ignition spark fault (tired plug leads, broken leads or a coil that is losing its spark output - even the plugs not being seated in properly). Check all of the spark plugs' condition as it will give you more of an indication of whether or not it is one faulty plug/lead or a general problem (all the plugs will look about the same)

Array
    Status
    big rapids mi.
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    ok thanks. I put new plugs and wires and cap and rotor in a while back. They all looked black and dry if I remember right. I will check them again and probably get a cat for it as well.

Array
    Status
    Nyssa, Or
    Vehicle

1982 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Also, Check compression and valve seals that would be the ( oil fouling ) Geezer101 is talking about.