Array
    Status
    MI
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T

First Gen - Stuck in 2nd

Hi guys. I've been poking around trying to find an answer to this and I think I'm close. Here's the details:
    85 Mighty Max - 5 speed manual
    Shifter bolts vibrated loose and it popped out of the socket shifting into 2nd and got stuck. Pulled the shifter and reset it, but it's all the way to the front. So now, I'm guessing, it's the syncro fork that is jammed. I pulled the pan and the rear fork does appear to be all the way toward the back of the trans. I'm hoping I don't have to drop the trans, and read that I may be able to "pry" the fork forward... I'm just not sure how to do that without damaging anything. Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
    Ben

Array
    Status
    MI
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well, in case anyone is interested, I found the issue and took some pictures... here's the background:
    While shifting from 1st to 2nd, i was hearing a "tick tick" sound and thought it was a clutch issue. Turns out it was loose bolts on the shifter allowing the control arm to hit the main shaft. I realized that too late though and pulled the control arm between the 1st/2nd yoke and the main shaft. I then put it on the hoist and opened the pan. I figured out that I could still pop it into all of the gears with a handle of a hammer and if I put the shifter in the right spot, could pull it into 1st or 3rd... so I was pretty sure of the diagnosis.
    It is an 85 Mighty Max 4X4 - FM145 Trans
    Not wanting to pull the whole engine, and getting some advise from an old friend, I pulled both drive shafts, the T-Case, and the transfer housing with the trans still mounted to the engine... this exposed the shift linkage and confirmed my thoughts:
    https://youtu.be/a027tKvonyo

The Fix:
    I removed the drivers side neutral spring plug (you can see that in the video, top left), popped the spring pin from the 1st/2nd fork shaft from the transmission pan (the lower one).
    pan.jpg
    and rotated the yoke all the way to the main shaft (counter-clockwise looking toward the front of the truck)

controlArm.jpg

then pulled the shifter to the neutral position through the 1st/2nd column

After doing this, I also realized, that I'm pretty sure, you could do this without disassembling the back of the transmission. Just pop the spring pin, Remove the drivers side neutral spring, rotate the fork bar counter clockwise until it stops. Then from the cab, lightly move the shifter from what feels like far back second to the neutral position through the 1st/2nd column. Put back the neutral spring and you should feel it locked in the 3rd/4th column... then rotate the bar and reinsert the spring pin.

I hope that helps somebody.... thanks to everyone who posted all of the manuals and other feedback... saved me a bundle from a transmission shop.