Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

87 Mighty Max 2.0 Wont turn off and sputters when driving

I bought this 1987 Mighty Max 2.0 with it not running. Replaced the Starter, now then it started running. When trying to turn off the engine it would sputter and shake and have a hard time turning off, but it would, sometimes with a backfire.(Boom) It would sometimes bog down or lose power going up hills but for a second and then it would go away, was hardly noticeable. I noticed a gas smell and found it leaking gas from the mechanical fuel pump. I replaced that.

Now where the current problem starts. After the new fuel pump the pickup will lose all power, spit and sputter, chug, and act like it is dieng anytime I try giving it gas in 3rd and up. If I barely push the gas it will sometimes keep going. It hardly ever does this in second unless I really push on the gas. It will also not shut off. It will sit there and shake and sound horrible like it is trying to shut off but doesn't.

I will try and post a video of the issue while driving. I have replaced the Spark Plugs. I am still going to replace the Plug Wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor, and the Fuel Filter. I am however not optimistic this will fix the issue and do not know what to try. I have looked for a thread with similar issues but could not find a whole lot for the 2.0.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to mightyram. If the fuelling issue started after replacement of the fuel pump it might only be a coincidence but it's a place to look first. If you've hooked the fuel delivery hoses up in the wrong order it will cause grief. There's the main fuel line into the carb and then there's a second line that feeds the accelerator enrichment pump on the side of the carb. If you cross them you won't get enough fuel into the fuel bowl and it will send excessive fuel to the accelerator pump and back into the return line to the tank. Try crossing the fuel lines into the carb over and see if it makes adifference. Good luck

Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    I'll try that when I get off work. It did the issue with it not shutting off right before the pump, now it just keeps doing it instead of only for a little bit. I'll let you know once I've tried it.

Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Here is how the hoses are connected now. I swapped the 2 bottom/smaller hoses around. I drove a small amount and it seemed to help. I wasn't able to drive a lot to really test it out. I will find out tomorrow morning. However the issue with it not shutting off is still there. It sounds awful and shakes the whole pickup bad.
    20151202_171439.jpg

Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Sorry the picture is upside down.

Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Just ran to the store. Switching the hoses did not fix the issue.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Check the fuel cut solenoid on the carb - see if it's connected. If you don't know if it's working or not take a wire and run it straight from the positive on the battery to the lead on the solenoid. If it doesn't kick then the solenoid is dead.

Array
    Status
    Bismarck, ND
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Where on the carb is that at? I took a quick look and did not find it. I am sorry for the noob questions but I haven't had to work on many carbureted vehicles.

Array
    Status
    kings mountain, nc
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    does it not cut off when the motor is cold to or is it only when hot?