I bought this 1987 Mighty Max 2.0 with it not running. Replaced the Starter, now then it started running. When trying to turn off the engine it would sputter and shake and have a hard time turning off, but it would, sometimes with a backfire.(Boom) It would sometimes bog down or lose power going up hills but for a second and then it would go away, was hardly noticeable. I noticed a gas smell and found it leaking gas from the mechanical fuel pump. I replaced that.

Now where the current problem starts. After the new fuel pump the pickup will lose all power, spit and sputter, chug, and act like it is dieng anytime I try giving it gas in 3rd and up. If I barely push the gas it will sometimes keep going. It hardly ever does this in second unless I really push on the gas. It will also not shut off. It will sit there and shake and sound horrible like it is trying to shut off but doesn't.

I will try and post a video of the issue while driving. I have replaced the Spark Plugs. I am still going to replace the Plug Wires, Distributor Cap and Rotor, and the Fuel Filter. I am however not optimistic this will fix the issue and do not know what to try. I have looked for a thread with similar issues but could not find a whole lot for the 2.0.