Array
    Status
    Florida
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Question 91 Ram 50 mystery wires!

hey guys, love this forum! tons of great info. i was hoping someone might be able to identify the wires in this picture. the truck is a 91 ram 50, 2.4l. the wires are located in the engine compartment, on the passenger side fender. im trying to find out what, if anything, those connectors are supposed to be plugged in to, and what might happen if one of them should, oh i dunno, hypothetically, lets say, uhh... be shorted to ground?

thanks!
    greg
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    the brown plug is to put the ECU into base timing mode and gets grounded when setting the timing. and the other one is the fuel pump check connector(to test if it is working)

Array
    Status
    Florida
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    ok cool, thank you! the reason i asked about the grounding thing is because that is exactly what i was trying to do, set the timing. i had noticed a miss that was happening under heavy acceleration, so i started digging around and see that the plug wires are ancient and crumbling. i go to the parts place and i do it up right, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil & filter, pcv, air filter, all the maintenance stuff this little truck probably hasnt seen in ages. so i go home, put all the stuff on and its running way better, feels smoother, it even sounds better, right? better, but not perfect.. so what do i do? do i close the hood and call it a day? figure its money well spent, job well done, and go have a beer? nooooo.. i go get the timing light and start looking up on the internet how to set my timing of course! my other truck is a 4th gen chevy and it has a similar method to disable the timing advance so no biggie. i finally find the wire, take another piece of wire ground it to the frame, stick the other end in the connector, hook up the timing light and go to crank it up. i had had the truck for 2, maybe 3 weeks at this point, even with the burnt up plugs and petrified plug wires it almost always started right up, after i grounded the wire i turned it over for about 4 seconds maybe 2 times. i turned the key off, pulled out the jumper and cranked again. nothing. no fuel, no fire. ive done some testing and im not sure exactly what is wrong, but im quite sure that the root cause is my inability to leave well enough alone..

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    hmm that is weird. I'll have to think about that one to see if I can think of the issue. And yeah funny thing is I have never had a 2.4 before so don't I never had those wires, but I just bought another truck with a 2.4 and had to figure out if the fuel pump was working(wasn't) so I had to figure out which was the f.p. check connector, and then I also adjusted the timing and had to find out which one was to set the timing lol.