Array
    Status
    deland fl.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

2.0 motor noise

I have this weird tapping coming from my motor and its there sometimes and sometimes it not. does anywhere one know what it might be it has new lifters. Do they need to be adjusted

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Usually you can't adjust lifters because they are self adjusting, though lifters are required to soak in new oil prior to install. I soaked lifters for my 302cu in for a week prior to install.
    You might possible have a lazy one that isn't returning completely to it's home position. Make sure your rockers are not wobbling on the rocker rod. Could take off the valve cover and hand crank the motor and check the lifter when valve is closed and see if you get any play on the rocker. A sticky valve also could make the noise by making the lifter work harder to push the valve and a delay in valve return. Did you replace springs also? Maybe it's time...
    What quality lifter did you replace the OEM with.
    Also, one other item that can make a ticking noise is the wrist pins. If the motor has many miles on it, I would imagine the pistons are somewhat slapping around in the cylinders, but these usually make noise after accelerating and letting off gas and only for an short instant.

Our G63B Mitsubishi Motors also are noisy little things. They always seem to have a tapping sound from my experience(mostly flat tappet rockers), but hydraulic lifters should be quieter by far. Check your timing also, just in case it is off a bit causing valves to work harder. I think also if the valve cover is tightened down too tight it can also be contacted by a rocker, though this is a very rare thing that I have yet to see.

Run a short video could help you describe the issue too.
    Last edited by BradMph; 11-28-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Our G63B Mitsubishi Motors also are noisy little things. They always seem to have a tapping sound from my experience(mostly flat tappet rockers), but hydraulic lifters should be quieter by far. Check your timing also, just in case it is off a bit causing valves to work harder. I think also if the valve cover is tightened down too tight it can also be contacted by a rocker, though this is a very rare thing that I have yet to see.
    Only time I've heard of rockers bashing against a valve cover is with the 4G5x engines and playing mix and match. AI and AII (Astron 1/Astron 2) will interchange but there's differences in height clearance under the valve/rocker cover. Might be an issue with G63B depending on mechanical vs hydraulic but I haven't had any experiences with that so far.

Brad is on the money with priming hydraulic lifters - and you really need to flush the oil system and have fresh blood pumping around the block prior to replacing them to prevent any contaminated oil from gunking them up. If they're still noisy it sounds like you'll need to pull them out, clean them in diesel fuel and prime them in some good oil. Yeah it sucks having to go through this whole process but they'll work correctly and last a lot longer (plus it won't sound like you're driving a Remington typewriter to work lol)

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    'The Mule' (My first D-50) is also an 88 G63B, I installed new lifters (oil chg & filter)
    weird though, it took almost 200 miles for the ticking to stop ?!? but it did & no problem since.
    ---lifters installed at 315k miles, & when parked 389K miles --- & no that is not a mileage mistype !!!!
    Piece of crap Mitsu !!! LOL !!!

Array
    Status
    deland fl.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I really don't know what lifters are in the motor the guy I bought it from had a shop put them in. Well he told me he had new ones put it, this is my first time with an import so Im really worried about the noise and it burns oil bad.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Ohhh, burning oil bad. This sounds like he didn't take great care of it possibly and you may be in for some repairs pretty soon. If it mostly smokes when started and then stops...it probably is the head sucking oil thru the valve guides or oil seals on the valve stems. Those valve stem seals are an easy fix, just time consuming. If it smokes when you hit the accelerator, it is rings. Now that you say it burns oil, the noise is probably a symptoms of it's age or abuse.
    If you have a compression gauge, you may run a test to see if it is one or all the pistons that show bad testing. This also will give you an idea how bad it really is. It could have good compression, but drinks oil which can determine bad oil rings on the pistons. Valves stem oil seals can prevent a large amount of oil from getting into the combustion chambers, they are usually what goes sooner then other items.

These motors can last anywhere from 200K to 400k before a rebuild, if taken care of. Mine went 275k before I had to go through it and it really wasn't too bad except for piston slap and a quick loss of compression.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    ...if it mostly smokes when started and then stops...it probably is the head sucking oil thru the valve guides or oil seals on the valve stems. Those valve stem seals are an easy fix, just time consuming.
    I've had a couple of Mitsubishis that have chugged smoke - a head recon, fresh valve stem seals and hey presto, no smoke. If the engine is fouled up try a fuel additive to de-coke the combustion chambers and tops of the pistons. Sometimes clearing the carbon off the ring landings can help return a bit of compression by allowing the rings to seal better. You really need to do a compression test as Brad has recommended to get an accurate picture of the overall health of your engine.

Array
    Status
    deland fl.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK I will do that it sounds like it has alot of compression when its turning over and only smokes when it starts like you said. And I know for a fact he didn't take care of the truck the interior was trashed when I got it and it ran horrible I was hoping I got everything figured out but I might just do a rebuild I hoping to have this truck for a while. Anyone recommend a rebuild kit for the motor?

Array
    Status
    deland fl.
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    And what's normal compression fo these motors?