Thread: Are all those vacuum tubes necessary?

Array
    Status
    Lexington, Virginia
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Are all those vacuum tubes necessary?

I'm replacing the head on my '89 Ram 50 2.6 and am amazed at all the vacuum tubes to the carb. Can I remove some and still have the truck run OK. I'm not concerned about the pollution thing as I live so far out in the boondocks they have to pipe in sunlight. I just want it to sue around here but I want it to run reliablely. Of course I know I'l need some distributer, ect. I know it's not the same but, I had a n'84 Ford Ranger that I removed all the pollution stuff and it ran fine. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi dunoon, welcome to mightyram. If you aren't required to have it smog tested then you can kill most of the vac lines. They do a lot of annoying things like control bypass valves in the air filter assembly and open the EGR valve on the inlet manifold. The EGR crap messes with these engines and 95% of the time it doesn't work anymore. You only need the vac line for the distributor (all other lines out of the carb need to be blocked) Best way to ditch the vac lines is invest in the 32/36 Weber swap and get some extra horses to go with it (make sure it's a GENUINE Weber).

Array
    Status
    Blairsville, GA
    Vehicle

1981 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Other
    I cannot determine what part is missing between carb and manifold. I have attaached image
    Attached Images