Array
    Status
    Rockford Illinois
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Fuel pump

I have a 89 Dodge Ram 50 2.6 liter Weber carb conversion no catalytic converter or EGR valve electric fuel pump . i drive the truck every day back and forth to work the problem I am having is that one day when I drive it the truck runs like a champ and doesn't mean miss a beat the next day I drive it it will spit and sputter and sounds like it is backfiring does this sound like a fuel delivery problem

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I'm going to put money on fuel delivery being the issue. What is going on in the filter(s)? If it was an ignition problem it would break down and kill the engine for good. I think you are getting sporadic blockages in the jets. Next time it starts running like a 3 legged donkey, pull the air filter off it, start the engine and try to starve the carb of air with your hands. It should purge any small debris out of the carb jets. If it works, there's the problem. Check over the mounting bolts on the manifold to make sure you don't have any air leaks. A spray of WD while it's running will expose any leaks (you should know the drill on this one)