Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

1986 Dodge Ram 50 Custom

New guy here with a 1986 Dodge Ram 50 Custom, g63b with 5 manual transmission. Got it early this week as my daily driver, only has 84K on the clock. Real clean truck, previous owners took real good care of it. I've already swapped out the steering wheels for a sport steering wheel and put in 1st Gen Montero seats, Ill be hitting the salvage yard to get another set of rails for the passenger seat. Idmediate plans are to install sound deadening material on the floor, new flooring and center console. Future plans are 5 lug swap with some nice school wheels, paint and g32bt engine swap.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I've have the idea to rebadge my truck as Mitsubishi since I bought it. So this weekend I removed the Dodge lettering and painted my grill black. The old silver painted had been faded away and I was left that dull plastic look. Once I saw how good the paint looked, I decided to add amber film over my bight headlights. I wanted that old school look. Instead of using Mitsubishi 3 diamond emblem, I googled and found the Mitsubishi Debonair emblem. It looks way cooler that the standard 3 diamond imo. I wanted customize that emblem into something that would reflect the Mitsubishi Mighty Max and came up with this idea. I designed this using Google's Sketch Up program and used my 3D printer to print it out. It came out great minus the little vines that didnt come out so good. Plan to replace those with the word "Mitsubishi", but I think this is going to look good once it's painted and placed in the grill. The 3 M's stand for Mitsubishi Mighty Max

I'm going for that old Japanese look with fender flares and wide wheels. I have more to come.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    very cool. What kind of plastic do 3D printers use? I was wondering how it will hold up against weather exposure. Could you use clear and fill recesses with a solid colour resin, then backlight it? MM's came out under a lot of different names - L200, Animal, Triton. There are still a lot of new, repro and NOS emblems around just in case you want some more inspiration

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I used PVC for the build but I also have PLA but its clear. I've been looking for some more old emblems but some of the smaller details are harder to reproduce with the 3D printer. I would like to cast it in aluminum, then use resins to fill it in. I've also made some grill clips and other small parts.

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Very cool...you're on your way....I don't know if this is your first MM/Dodge...but from personal experience I will tell you they are great little trucks....with regular maintenance they are good for 200,000+ miles...I recently read an article from a guy who went well over 300,000 mi before he opened the motor.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    This actually my forth. I just received my wink mirror and I'm currently designing some brackets that use the existing sun visor holes to mount it. Should have the first set prints tomorrow.

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Awesome...keep us posted

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Can someone post the dimensions of 1st generation speaker grills? and pictures?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Update. After moving into my house and finally getting settled in, I started back wrenching. I started upgrading the exhaust on my 2007 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart. I love this car, I can barely tap the gas and it will put your head back. I gutted the entire exhaust system; it took me almost 2 weeks to remove all the old exhaust. I had to use my sawsall more than the socket wrenches. But I have 2.5” OBX headers, 3” Injen catback exhaust and Injen CAI. With these mods and a tune, I should be able to get 300hp to the wheels.
    I finally figured out what I want to do with my D50. It’s going to be a boosted daily driver that builds for MPG. I bought 4G32T for $200, which is 1.6 liter turbo. I’m in the process of converting from TBI to MPI, I got the intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail and thermostat housing from 4G37 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Everything bolts on the 4G32T, the throttle body needs to be flipped around, the 4G32T head needs to be port to accommodate the larger intake ports of the 4G37 manifold and I may need to construct another thermostat housing because I’m not sure how much clearance I’m going to have at the firewall. I will be using Megasquirt for engine management.

]

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The head on this has the coolant outlets configured in a way I haven't seen before. On the non turbo head there is a coolant barb facing outward for the heater return which threads straight into the head by #4 inlet port, and the thermostat housing is in the void between the distributor and #1 inlet port. I'm thinking if you can find the external coolant pipe for a RWD 4G32 like on a Mitsubishi Celeste you'll get the heater inlet sorted out and maybe the coolant port for the heater return is lurking under that big thermostat manifold bolted to the side of the head. Take off the pressure regulator from the fuel rail and swap ends as the fuel hose is going to be right up against the firewall (the pressure reg is going to be real close so this will be another issue you might have to work around) Not sure of how to get an outlet to the radiator connected to this...but if you can delete the thermostat manifold this sucker will bolt in no problemo

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Can you post a picture of that thermostat manifold?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I can but it will be for a carbed non-turbo 4G32 which might not be of much use to you - I'll go hunting for one

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    o.k. had a couple of pics in my photobucket account. Unfortunately these aren't good close up and are a little over exposed (due to my OCD and all things alloy) but they show how the coolant is routed. These engines are designed to be retrofitted either FWD or RWD by changing the external coolant routes. The thermostat housing on this engine faces towards the back with a gallery directing it to the top inlet of the radiator but all it would take to make it RWD is changing the thermostat housing to an angled neck and swapping the coolant pipe from the water pump.

forward view
    scan0082.jpg

view from rear
    scan0083.jpg

Hope these are of some use to you bwannabeast

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    New wheels, well old repainted wheels. I pick these up at the pull a part about two months ago, they came from a 1996 Isuzu Amigo 2 door ragtop. I saw them but was undecided whether or not should buy them, so I pick them up the next but one of the chrome rings was missing. They are 16X8 with what I believe is a 0 offset and they are heavy but not bad for $80. The tires are to small in my opinion but I got a good deal on them as well. They are 215/45, I will get a bigger set later.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    They look good. Chrome trimmed wheels suit the era of the truck. The low profile tyres look kinda small but I bet they grab the road really well.
    Last edited by geezer101; 04-29-2016 at 01:30 AM.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    They do look nice.

Did the wheels fit right on, or did you have to do any modifications on them or your hubs?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    They fit with no modifications.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Update: I've changed my mind on the 4G32T engine and purchased a 7 bolt 4G63 NA for $300. The 4G32T needed to many mods to fit ie. mount brackets, fuel rail, head porting, wiring, engine management and coolant system. I done this swap before with a 4G67 from a Elantra so I'm familiar with what I need to do. These are the things I've gotten so far

4G63 NT 7 bolt with 140K ($300)
    Complete wiring harness with ECU ($45 PnP)
    Flywheel and Bolts in the mail ($80)
    MAF ($40 Ebay)
    Still looking a CAS
    Kia Optima Intake Manifold ($35 PnP)
    Montero Sport 2.4 Exhaust Manifold ($35 JY)

These are the main thing I need to get it running, I'm trying to see if I can keep this swap under $1000 lol Testing out the Kia Optima Intake not sure if its going to work in the 1st Gen truck because I had problems with the brake booster during my first swap. Yanking the truck engine out this Saturday, can't wait

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Awesome! Good luck with the swap

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Exciting swap. How did the Galant turn out?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I decided not to take the engine out of the truck because I'll need it to haul a few thing around but I got the engine on a stand and started breaking in down. Pictured below is a 2001 Kia Optima intake manifold beside the 4G63 intake manifold. As you can see the all the bolt holes line up, that is the 4G63 intake gasket laying on top. The Optima's ports are smaller but the runners are longer. I had to cut the EGR portion on the Optima intake because it interfered with the rear timing cover. The TB fits no problems. I will have to cut and fill weld the Optima's fuel injector holes to get a clean fit. Another benefit of the intake is that it sits further ahead and will clear the 1st Gen brake booster. When I did this swap in my other truck, a modified stock 4G63 intake needed more trimming to clear the booster.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Awesome! Good luck with the swap
    The Galant turned out good but remove the Injen 3" exhaust because it was just too loud for my liking. I put the stock catback exhaust on.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    does this 7 bolt have the front crank & cam trigger(dont c plate on cam gear) ?
    so u won't b moving motor ahead to clear rear CAS ? Intake may clear brake booster then
    So using the kia intake u don't have to swap throttle body ends ?

wierd how kia compatible with mitsu, like hyundai
    kia sportage 2.0 perhaps a better rwd swap candidate. Some miata folks use & boost em

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    It doesn't have a front crank or cam trigger, this 7 bolt came out of a 1993 Eagle Talon. In the 1st Gen truck the CAS clears the firewall, its a tight fit but it does clear using a green top CAS. Yes using the 1999 -2004 Hyundai Sonata or 2000- 2005 Kia Optima Intake you won't have to swap TB ends. The Kia Sportage 2.0 engine is a Mazda engine.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Very cool swap. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast