Thread: 1986 Dodge Ram 50 Custom

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Well she's in there, I forgot to mention that one of the mounting holes for the transmission was broken. I didn't notice it when I bought it but I'm just going to weld the block to fix it. I removed the thermostat housing and cas studs to clear the firewall. The intake manifold fits with no interference and alot more room in the rear compared to stock intake.

I hit the engine bay with some degreaser, and removed the vacuum canister mount by drilling out the welds. I'm relocating the battery to the passenger side. Since have to relocate the horn and remove the mounts.

It rained today, so next weekend I'll be removing and cleaning the transmission. Installing the flywheel, clutch and attaching it to the engine. Then I'll get to the wiring.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    What are you going to do for an exhaust manifold? I've seen shorty headers on ebay but have wondered if they would foul an engine mount etc. Looks good so far and the Optima intake is a solid win.
    Spray the lot with non caustic oven cleaner - it makes short work of grime and doesn't leave a greasy oil slick running down your driveway
    ...hey, I've got one of those pry bars!

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    What are you going to do for an exhaust manifold? I've seen shorty headers on ebay but have wondered if they would foul an engine mount etc. Looks good so far and the Optima intake is a solid win.
    Spray the lot with non caustic oven cleaner - it makes short work of grime and doesn't leave a greasy oil slick running down your driveway
    ...hey, I've got one of those pry bars!
    I plan using the 97-99 2.4L Montero Sport exhaust manifold, I've never seen and aftermarket RWD headers. I've got a 10X16 concrete slab in my backyard that I plan on turning into a garage, it was the reason I bought the house lol I may start building it this week

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Ran into a problem that I did not see coming. I have a 7 bolt non turbo 4G63 and the only flywheel I can use is the one that came with that engine and its diameter is smaller than the flywheel that came out my truck by at most half an inch. The clutch assembly bolts to it with no problem but the ring gear is just smaller. Could a different starter from another DSM work? Are the starter gear larger on some car? I'm kinda stuck now, I went to a salvage yard to see if a 7 bolt from a Mighty Max would work but it was way to big. I can't use any of the turbo flywheels because they are stepped. Can someone help me out?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I had to use a turbo flywheel, truck clutch and turbo pressure plate. Got everything installed, just need to install the transmission mount, clutch cable and e-brake cable. Going to install the fuel pump while the truck is still off the ground and replace my leaky filler neck.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That's the exact clutch/pp/flywheel setup I run on my turbo 4g63

Array
    Status
    Concord NC
    Vehicle

1981 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    Where are you located in NC? I have a 81 Arrow Pickup and looking to do a swap as well.

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLA NOIZ View Post
    Where are you located in NC? I have a 81 Arrow Pickup and looking to do a swap as well.
    Greensboro

Array
    Status
    Concord NC
    Vehicle

1981 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B
    Nice. Would love to see the final product. I don't have the time or ability to do a full swap myself and might need to pick your brain once completed.
    Want to know everything needed, etc to start sourcing parts.
    I may swap in a G54B Turbo from a Starion. I like the idea of a period correct swap and it should be pretty straight forward

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12