Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Swap or upgrade? G63B

hello I just picked up my first Mighty Max. it's an 87 with the g6 3d motor, I need some help and some maintenance and I'm just wondering to gain a little power would it be more reasonable to do a swap? And if so which motor swap easy. or should I put performance parts into the engine I currently have. anything helps thank you!

Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    G63B, sorry

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi Tommy, welcome to mightyram. Well, what's your budget and what do you want from the truck? The G63B engine responds well to a carb swap and a set of headers - these are the 2 most popular upgrades for performance. The twin cam variant of the G63B is a good option for a drivetrain upgrade but requires a few mods to get it to work as a RWD engine (it is possible to just swap the head but once again there are a few mods needed to set up the twin cam belt path and coolant pipe routing). Then there is the G63B twin cam turbo which will really get it hauling. Guys are using small block V8's - there are a number of members who have either done this install or are in the process of building it. MightyMax' came with a 2.6 which is good for torque but has nearly the same HP as the G63B SOHC. Try out the search option and check out members build threads for inspiration - you'll get everything from mild to LSRMikes demented spaceship pretending to be a Mighty Max - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...-Modifications

Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    awesome, thank you for the advice. I do have a Weber carburetor that came with the truck just never got installed. There are a couple of plates that came with it I'm just not sure how to install it, I searched the threads but couldn't find out detailed information. Maybe I'm searching wrong?

Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    the plate I have I believe those off a Toyota. can I use it? do I need to drill holes in the plate to match the holes in the manifold for vacuum?
    IMG_20151116_112301.jpgIMG_20151116_112511.jpgIMG_20151116_112521.jpg

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nope, no holes needed. The throttle base on the carb has a small cut out facing into the throttle butterfly port - this is where it builds vacuum to operate the carb. Use an adapter like the one made by Redline for your Weber and it will do its funky thing.

Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Great thank you. putting the stock carb back on and having trouble figuring out the vacuum lines. Any good resources for diagrams?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    [11-20-2015 05:09 PM] Tommy_Salishan88: Yes I removed the carb to install a Webber the realized a plate and diaphragm are missing off the Webber. I reinstalled the stock carm and traced all the vacuum lines following a manufacturer PDF. May need a rebuild? Get a new Webber?

Have you got a pic of the 'missing' diaphragm and cover location? Sometimes there are components that weren't built onto carb model variations and are just left blank (Weber used one carb body type and then prepped them for whatever application they were destined for) If the mounting point for the allegedly missing diaphragm assemblies' holes aren't threaded then it was never installed in the first place. Guys get caught out with this even on Mikunis where they see holes in the fuel bowl cover but nothing in them and think that the carb is incomplete.

Array
    Status
    Salem, Oregon
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    That's exactly it, however I realized this probably isn't a ginuine weber, there is no made in Spain stamp. Or any stamp for that matter. Just a serial number

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Salishan88 View Post
    That's exactly it, however I realized this probably isn't a ginuine weber, there is no made in Spain stamp. Or any stamp for that matter. Just a serial number
    Uh oh. That is never a good sign. I'd like to see wtf these monkeys did with the casting and milling of the Weber copies (but there is NO WAY I'm buying one to find out...) You would think with the number of these carbs that are made that the manufacturer could finally get it right at some point.

Array
    Status
    Ronkonkoma
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    When you say that the dohc head fits, you mean without changing the pistons? Aren't the reliefs all wrong and wouldn't the compression be over 10:1?

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think you will get a 10:1 ratio if you use the Mitsubishi DOHC NA head (early versions). Using a Hyundai will start to push it up to 12:1. And depending on what you're doing with the engine in regards to cams you will more than likely need to fly cut recesses for valves to prevent fouling on the piston deck. I have thought about going twin cam at some point by using a Sonata head and pistons, Ford EDIS ignition set up and...bike carbs. I am a fool for old school but getting my cake and eating it too is a looong way off (I should get my current engine assembled and running before anything else lol)

Array
    Status
    Alabama
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Dodge V8
    Put a small block mopar in it. That is what I did. I put a 340 in mine.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I gota laugh!!...you know...the good kind of laugh....when you see something very cool and badass....just awesome....it looks great! and looking at the pic it apparently hauls a**....keep it out there, Later...

ADG