Thread: Will a 16valve sohc 4g64 found in galant fit mighty max directly?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Will a 16valve sohc 4g64 found in galant fit mighty max directly?

Hi guys,

I found the 4g64 in galant are different than the one in mighty max. At first glance, water pump is same, timing belt is same but wider.. and of course the head is different. One is 16valve, one is 8 valve. But they use the same lifters

I am wondering if a directly swap would be possible... Still use the original 8valve 4g64 intake and exahust manifold, just swap the long block... What about the distributor?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It should be a direct swap as these engines were available in a RWD configuration but the manifolds from your MM won't fit (well, I'm pretty sure they won't as the 16v heads have oval ports). Easy way to test the theory is looking at a VRS kit from an 8 valve and see if there's a different part number for the 16 valve. If there's a difference then explore the why and what. It might be different coolant galleries from the block to the head which isn't a deal breaker as you can punch them out of the gasket. If the Galant is running a distributor then there's no worries about compatibility - use the Galant one to make sure. Use the manifolds from a Mitsubishi van with the 2.4 16 valve engine to make the swap a no brainer.

Array
    Status
    redding ca
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    the easiest swap to do is getting the 4g64 out of a 1997-1999 montero sport with a California emission wiring harness and ecu from a 1993-1995 mighty max. u cant just plug and play. motor will mount to your existing tranny and has the proper intake orientation. you will need to modify the distributor wiring on the new motor but thats should not be a big deal, im not sure if the mighty max ecm tune would work thou.

to answer your question, no. you cant swap the manifolds because they wont fit. the galant is a narrow block and i know that your 4g64 is a wide block so swapping the blocks wont work on your tranny.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    I just got an alert this morning that Pick and Pull in Moss Landing, CA got a Montero Sport 2.4 5 speed in today. These are quite rare.

http://row52.com//Vehicle/Index/JA4LS21G4WP000107