Thread: Shooting for 500whp from my truck this year. What do I need to know?

Array
    Status
    Murray Utah
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G63-T

Shooting for 500whp from my truck this year. What do I need to know?

Things have been busy at the shop and my truck was put on the back burner. Finally I'm to the point of starting reassembly with a completely new setup.
    Has anyone done much drag racing with the 4wd trans and a 4g64/4g63t? We are rebuilding the stock transmission but making no changes over stock at this time. Are there any options to strengthen our transmissions/transfer case? I would really like to keep it 4wd but I'm concerned I'll break the transmission or transfer case sooner than later.
    For now I'm using a stock pressure plate and a Comp 6 puck rigid disc with a lightened OEM flywheel, the clutch and flywheel have been balanced. If I can't get the cable system to work I'll be converting to a hydraulic setup and an Exedy twin, I broke 2 clutch cables this year.
    After doing some reading I've decided to search for an LSD from an 83-87 Conquest/Starion for the front and an LSD from a 83-89 Montero for the rear end.
    What gear options do I have for the rear?
    This year I was launching in 4wd and shifting into 2wd in 3rd, I'm going to try that again this next year. I also have a set of 26" slicks I may try while in 2wd.
    I haven't looked into suspension yet so any advice there is welcome.
    Thanks guys!
    B

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I am not sure how the transfer case has survived the abuse you have given it so far - taking it out of 4wd while moving forward usually leaves it engaged. If you put 500hp through it, it will most likely explode, if the tranny doesn't first. If you want to drag race - do it with a 2wd truck.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    North Greensboro, Nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    what power output are you at now? Sounds like you are about to venture into parts land with an unlimited budget. you are more than likely going to have to go 2wd. I want pics btw.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    I am not sure how the transfer case has survived the abuse you have given it so far - taking it out of 4wd while moving forward usually leaves it engaged. If you put 500hp through it, it will most likely explode, if the tranny doesn't first. If you want to drag race - do it with a 2wd truck.
    I'd agree with pennyman on this one. 500 ponies through the antiquated 4WD transmission on these trucks will not hold up well. I would also think the trans would be hogging HP too. It would take some radical engineering to beef the drive train up enough to survive this on a regular basis.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Get a flywheel shield?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    And a tranny / transfer case blanket. Or swap it out for a t56 / transfer case from a full size rig that can handle the power.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980