Thread: 2WD mighty max ok for snow days in michigan?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

2WD mighty max ok for snow days in michigan?

Is it possble to drive a 2wd mighty max to work in snow days of Michigan?

It is RWD and nose heavy....Brake locks up so easy...But is it still possible?

What if i put on snow tires?

I don't want spend money on snow tires then find out it is still undriveable in snow...

And currently i have 2in spacers... Is it better to keep them or remove them for better handling on snow?

My current tire size is 175 70 15 What is a better option for the size of snow tire ?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The spacers will cause you grief in the snow. It would track and bump steer all over the place. Hitting a patch of ice would be disastrous! Put some weight over your rear axle, get some tyres with bite and I think you should be o.k. except in really crazy stuff. Hope your heaters work well!

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    For winter I run Cooper Weather-Master S/T2 studded on all 4 rims (I understand not wanting to spend the money, but a snow tire purchase is cheaper than an accident & depending on state law, ie-vermont: if you get into an accident you will receive an additional fine for not having snow tires). http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Winte...TER-S-T-2.aspx

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    throw some sandbags or bags of salt in the back over the axle, That will weigh down the back for traction and help balance out the nose heavy. and if you get stuck, you have something to help bail you out!

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    For one winter when I was still in Idaho I drove around with an old oven in the back of the truck. Snow tires will really change your life too. They make driving in slush better and stopping so much easier! I drove with snow tires once and was so amazed at the difference that I'll never go back to highway tires in the winter. That's true for all my cars.

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    For one winter when I was still in Idaho I drove around with an old oven in the back of the truck.
    I'm from California where 60 degree is cold, but my dad told me stories about people driving around with manhole covers in their trunks in the days of bias ply tires.

You can also put snow tires on junkyard steel wheels and keep your nice wheels and tires from getting trashed and rusted with salt.