Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Exhaust manifold stud broken

Hi all,

I got a 1993 mighty max with 8-valve 4G64 engine. Vehicle has 190k miles. Currently I discovered the exhaust manifold studs are broken, the first one and the last one. Good thing is the remaining stud is still above the surface. Questions are:

1. How to do stud extraction? What kind of special are helpful?
    2. Can I do stud extraction without taking of the head? Looks like there is plenty space if I take off exhaust manifold. Anybody ran into similar situation?
    3. Where can i get high quality exhaust studs? I don't want this happen to me agian.
    4. If I don't want to fix it now, what is the risk? The whole exhaust manifold fall off? I only use this truck as a spare vehicle. Very trip is short distance, usually less than 1 hour. I am thinking of rebuilding engine in 1-2 years. So if I can keep it the way it is now, that would be great.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If there is still some of the shank exposed after taking the whole manifold off you might be able to get enough of a hold on it with a pair of locking jaw pliers and undo them. If you don't replace them the worst thing that will happen is an exhaust leak from the manifold. It will run like a pig but it'll run. An as for replacing them just go to a junk yard and pilfer a few off any engine with the same pitch thread (they're metric so pick something out of the same family - DSM, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi etc)

Array
    Status
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    That last stud breaks pretty often. I've had pretty good luck with these, but screw and bolt extractors generally all suck.

Grabit-Screw-extractor2.jpg

There's also the welded nut method:

https://www.facebook.com/SpeedSociet...6232607727372/

There are a few bags of OEM studs on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Nos-Oem-...tUvmZ7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-M...pSO0Le&vxp=mtr

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you can also use a socket made for rounded nuts if you can find one small enough to bite the shaft.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Replacement studs can usually be found at a good hardware store, no need to go junkyard hunting for them. you can do it on the truck. I replaced all of mine on the last re-build, not a hard job...

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    What is the correct size for the exhaust manifold studs?

8x1.25x ??????....I need to know the correct length in order to get replacements and I can't seem to find anything definitive.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've asked in the Facebook page with no response.....

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Well I spun out one of the good one's and went to the Hardware Store and did a Stare & Compare. I also picked up fresh nuts.

Array
    Status
    Georgia
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    That was my plan, but it seems that I can only get the broken one out ( go figure) ....so I'm gonna have to guess a bit.

I do know it's not 55/56 mm as I've already ruled those out....going to give it another go today and see if I can find the right one.