Thread: Steering box adjustment. Why is mine different?

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Steering box adjustment. Why is mine different?

Hi all,

Today I was trying to adjust the steering box. It should be very straightforward. Basically you loose nut, adjust set screw, tighten nut, you are done. but what i find out today is mine has a big spanner nut. How to do it? Do i need a special tool? Maybe I just have to live with it till next time I rebuild the engine I can take the whole steering box off the truck....
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Atlanta,GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Anybody know what kind of tool to order to adjust it? How much would shop usually cost to do it?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've seen this kind of adjuster before but I have no idea why it's been designed this way. Looking at it I think it needs one of those spanners you would use to undo the flange nut on an angle grinder. My bet is - undo the centre retainer, get a screwdriver and rest it against the shoulder of the outer locking ring and give it a tap, then tighten the centre retainer. Nothing too tricky about it - except the adjuster is some weird set up... Can't see why you shouldn't be able to tackle this in your driveway

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Do you really have excessive play in steering? Sometimes adjusting these can make the wheel stiffer and not really take in slack. As long as the wheel returns to center and not just short of center you should have it adjusted correctly. In addition, these adjustments do not cure wheel shimmy.